21. Do What Holly Did But Better

Spencer's POV

I feel the motorcycle stop moving and look up. We're parked on the side of the road. Toby gets off the motorcycle and pulls off his helmet.

"Well are you coming?" He asks, running his hand through his tousled hair.

"S-Sure." I reply. "But where to?"

"Only the best place to ever go! Spence, we're going to the movies!"

I laugh at Toby and follow him into the theatre. We pay for our tickets, though Toby won't tell me what film we're watching, and buy some popcorn and drinks. It's only when we're seated that Toby tells me what we're watching.

"This is going to sound really cheesy, but I wanted to show you one of the best romance films I've ever seen."

"Is that why no one else is in here? Because it's a cheesy romance?"

"No, the films a bit old."

"How old Toby because I hate old classics."

"It came out in 2007, it's called P.S I Love You. Please Spence, just give it a try."

She groans and sits back as the credits start to roll. I sit back, waiting to see her reaction to this amazing film.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

About halfway through the film, I can tell Spencer's crying. She's trying to hide her sobs but she's failing to. My arm's resting on the back of her chair so I quickly slip it onto her shoulder and pull her close to me.

Spencer's POV

I don't know why I'm crying at a film. I know it's not real it's just so heart-wrenching. Toby was right about me enjoying this film. Suddenly I feel Toby's arm wrap around my shoulder, pulling me towards him. I tense up as soon as I feel his touch but then relax and lean my head on his shoulder. This is also a very good opportunity to steal some of his popcorn.

"Hey, you should've bought your own." Toby says, holding his popcorn protectively to his chest. 

I smile and relax back onto his shoulder again, watching to see what surprises Gerry has left Holly.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Toby's POV

Toby's POV

We've just left the theatre, with Spencer gushing about how much she loved the film. Spencer heads to the motorcycle, but I pull her away.

"No I still have one more surprise for you."

I take her hand and lead her to a place across the road.

"The Karaoke Bar." She says. A look of panic crosses her face as she realizes what I've planned for her. 

"No Toby I'm not doing this! I can't sing!" She frantically says, as I pull her into the bar.

I laugh. "Then why did you write it down then?"

"Because I didn't think anyone would see it AND I hate performing." She says, struggling to escape my grasp. "Seriously Toby, I can't sing!"

I grab her shoulders and pull her to the side of the stage. "Do you remember that scene from the movie we just saw? Where Holly gets up on that stage and sings?"

"Yeah, but Toby I'm not-"

"No you are Holly. You're just going to be a better version of her while you're on that stage singing. Do what Holly did but better."

She gives me a long hard stare, more for comfort that anything else, then takes a deep breath and mounts the stage. I find a table near the front and sit back, waiting.

She takes another deep breath before starting. The music starts and everything just disappears except her.

We were both young when I first saw you
I close my eyes and the flashback starts
I'm standing there on a balcony in summer air
See the lights, see the party, the ball gowns
See you make your way through the crowd
And say hello
Little did I know
That you were Romeo, you were throwing pebbles
And my daddy said, "Stay away from Juliet"
And I was crying on the staircase
Begging you, please, don't go
And I said,
"Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone
I'll be waiting, all that's left to do is run
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story, baby just say yes"

The crowd are all on their feet singing along and I can see that glint in her eye. It's pure happiness. She's dancing around the stage sing her heart out and all I can think is, wow, just wow

So I sneak out to the garden to see you
We keep quiet 'cause we're dead if they knew
So close your eyes, escape this town for a little while
'Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter
And my daddy said "Stay away from Juliet"
But you were everything to me, I was begging you, please, don't go
And I said Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone
I'll be waiting, all there's left to do is run
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story baby just say yes
Romeo save me, they're trying to tell me how to feel
This love is difficult, but it's real
Don't be afraid, we'll make it out of this mess
It's a love story, baby just say "Yes"

She looks so free, just doing her thing on the stage. She catches my eye and dazzles me with a smile. She never smiled like that in the hospital. I smile back, knowing tonight has been successful.

Oh, oh I got tired of waiting
Wondering if you were ever coming around
My faith in you was fading
When I met you on the outskirts of town
And I said
"Romeo save me, I've been feeling so alone
I keep waiting for you but you never come
Is this in my head? I don't know what to think"
He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said
"Marry me, Juliet, you'll never have to be alone
I love you and that's all I really know
I talked to your dad, go pick out a white dress
It's a love story, baby just say yes"
Oh, oh,
Oh, oh
'Cause we were both young when I first saw you.

She finishes and runs of the stage into my arms. I pick her up bridal-style, hearing the chants of everyone around me to kiss her. I ignore them and carry her outside, still laughing and giggling, to the motorcycle. I put her down and she throws her arms around me again.

"Thank you." She whispers into my ear. "Thank you so much for tonight."

I smile and put my arm around her, leading her back to the motorcycle. "You don't need to thank me." I whisper back to her. We both get onto the motorcycle but I stop. I get off and face Spencer, who is currently putting her helmet on. I gently pull it off her head.

"Toby, what are you doing?" She asks, looking up at me confused.

I don't answer, instead cupping her face in my hands. I tilt her head up slightly and my lips meet hers. In that moment Everything is perfect. Until that moment ends.