9. There was no one there with you

Emily's POV

I've just been standing in her room. I don't even know why I came here, I just wanted to see how she was since she was down there with us. She's asleep, with her hair fanned out on her pillow. She looks so peaceful but deep down I know she's battling the same demons me and the girls are. Her eyelids flutter open suddenly and my eyes meet hers. She looks startled and continues to stare at me with a mixture of curiosity and a little fear. But I am just randomly standing in her room so I guess that's about right. What do I even say right now?

"Sorry, I-I didn't know you were awake, I'll-I'll go now. I don't even know why I'm here anyway." I turn for the door.

"No wait, I do know why I'm here. We were all down there together, you, me, Hanna and Aria but we had each other. There was no one there with you, you were alone through it all. Me and the others were down there for barely a month and you survived for so much longer. You're so strong, much stronger than the girls and me put together." She looks down and a single tear rolls down her cheek.

"I'm sorry if I'm upsetting you, I-I just felt I had to say that. I know you haven't spoken to anyone yet and I don't blame you. I get the feeling that you don't really like hospitals either." She give a small smile and shakes her head. I laugh and get up to leave.

As I reach the door I turn back. "I know this may sound a bit weird but if you ever want to talk to anyone, my rooms down the hall." She gives me a big grin and nods.

"Then I might see you soon." I say before exiting her room.

Toby's POV

Toby's POV

"What?!"

I can't believe what I'm hearing. Tanner cannot be serious.

"Look Cavanaugh, but she hasn't spoken or even tried to communicate with anyone and the doctors agree with me that we should be finding her a therapist."

"She's less likely to talk to a fucking shrink than she is to one of us! She's just scared and you don't know what she's been through-"

"Neither do you." She interjects.

"Yes but at least I'm trying to talk to her like she's a human being instead of you and the doctors treating her like some kind of alien!"

Tanner looks quite taken aback before she regains her usual cold eyed glare. Shit.

"You know what Cavanaugh-" She starts.

Shit. Shit. Shit. I'm about to lose my job in front of loads of random doctors and nurses and probably never see that girl again. Fuck.

"-that's the second time someone's stood up for someone and I respect you for that."

What. Did I just not get fired? And di Tanner just say she respects me?

"The-the second time? Who was the first?" Is all I can say.

"My son." She says.

"I didn't know you had-"

"I used to." She says. She sighs. "I can only give you 2 more weeks Cavanaugh, so now's the time to work your magic."

And with that she turns her heels and walks off.