16. Our Little Secret

Toby's POV

"They're not coming! If they get caught, they'll be forced to tell the truth." He sobs. He looks at Spencer. "You know why I have to do this!" He screams pointing his gun at Spencer.

"No!" I yell, but I'm too late.

The man has changed the direction of the gun. He's now pointing it at himself. With a quick glare at us, he pulls the trigger. BANG! I run towards Spencer and wrap my arms around her. She's in shock and screaming at the man's corpse.

I cup her face in my hands. "Spencer, look at me, he can't hurt you anymore, ok?"

She nods slightly then falls into my arms, sobbing. I scoop her up and carry her back into the hospital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toby's POV

Spencer hasn't spoken in a few hours now. She won't even look at me. The nurses have been and gone and we both haven't said anything yet.

"They're going to find me again. Aren't they?"

"No they aren't Spencer. We have their location and we'll get them and-"

She cuts in. "They'll get away. They always do." She turns and faces me. "Maybe you should just let them take me back." She says, a tear running down her cheek.

"What, why? Spencer, we're the police its our job to protect you from the bad guys."

"Yeah well I'm one of the bad guys." She yells.

I'm shocked. "What do you mean?"

She takes a while to respond. "Toby, I killed someone."

"What?"

"It was self defence." She sobs. "And I was trying to get away but he wouldn't stop grabbing me and-and I had the knife. And then he was dead."

"Di-Did the police find out about this?" I ask.

"They always got rid of any 'hold backs' in their plan." She says. "I-I killed someone. I ended someone's life before it was meant to be over. He was bad, but this makes me worse, so much worse."

I pull her into another hug.

I hear her voice, muffled against my chest. "Toby, can you not tell anyone about this, please?"

I hesitate. Given the circumstances and all the trauma she's been through, she probably wouldn't get a sentence. Probably.

"Don't worry Spence, my lips are sealed. It'll be our little secret."

Crap. This is going to come back and bite me in the ass later on.