Chapter Seven

Gracie POV

"Come on," Robbie pleaded as i was on my way to lunch.

"No. I'm not ditching school with you."

"It's not ditching when we come back," he said matter-of-factly. I shook my head and he stuck his tongue out at me. "You're such a party pooper."

"Won't your girlfriend hate you for taking me?" On the inside i cringed at the word 'girlfriend'. She's more like bitch or slut or anything but.

He shook his head. "She shouldn't care."

"Oh, but she does," i say as i remember the talking to she gave me this morning by my locker.

"Why? Did she say something to you?"

"Um..."

He walked right in front of me and stopped me dead in my tracks. He looked me straight in the eyes and held onto my waist. "You can tell me what she said."

"She... uh..." I covered the mark on my cheek that she gave me with my hair. "She just told me to stay away from you."

"Well that's none of her business." He put a strand of hair behind my ear. "Gracie, did she-"

"I should get to lunch now." I rushed right past him and walked into the lunch room, instantly sitting in my seat.

"Someone's a little jumpy," Aden said as i sat next to him.

"It's nothing really."

"What's on your face," Jaz asked as she began to lick the icing off the top of her cupcake.

I moved my hair back to cover the mark. "Nothing."

"That doesn't look like nothing," Harry and Darcy said at the same time. It scared me when they do this. Being as theyre twins, they do it often.

"Don't worry about it, okay?"

"Did Robbie hit you?"

"No." I slammed my hands onto the desk. "Can we just...forget about this?"

"Did Mason do it," Jaz asked ignoring my question to stay away from this subject. "You know he comes back today."

As if on cue, Mason walks through the doors into the lunch room. His face was messed up with scratches and bruises. He looked right at me and then looked away as he started walking over to where Rebecca was cuddled up to Robbie. She looked at me and then gave me a sickening grin as she leaned over to Robbie only to have him turn his face so her lips pressed to his cheek. Disappointed, she tried again only to have the same effect. He stormed over to our table and looked right at me. 

"Gracie?" His face looked sad and helpless. "Can i talk to you?"

I looked around my table to see everyone watching me. "I don't think-"

"Please."

I sighed. "Okay." He took me by my hand and led me out to the hallway. I could feel Harry looking at me with sad but warning eyes. "What did you want to talk about?"

"Are you okay? WIth Mason being back i mean."

I rubbed my arm, looking at the floor. "I...I guess so."

"Why didn't you tell them what he did to you?"

"Because i don't want everyone to know. It's embarassing."

"It's illegal."

"Why do you care all of a sudden," i instantly snapped back, getting defensive.