5.2 | In which, two and two makes four

MADELINE

Coming back to wasn't as difficult a second time

Coming back to wasn't as difficult a second time. She wasn't as ingrained in sleep, or pain, this time around. Shaking the fog from her mind, she looked up to lock eyes with Xavier,

"Please, put me down. I'd like to walk the rest of the way." Although she'd phrased it like a question, she wasn't asking. She didn't want Donald to have the satisfaction of her being carried into the township. Glancing down at her attire she cringed, walking into the village adorned in nothing but a t-shirt wasn't proper either. "I don't suppose you'd be able to do something about this," she trailed off, gesturing towards her attire as the Neaera's laugher.

Jumping as a feeling of warmth brushed over her, she watched as a faint shimmer trailed up her body, and clothes appeared in their wake. It was a strange sensation, any even more different to all magics she'd felt before. She nodded her gratitude, smiling in response before they resumed their walk towards the village.

"Xavier," Robert began, "Arthur cannot be present during the meeting I'm sure you've already organised."

It was a statement rather than a question, and Xavier visibly bristled at the instruction, before locking eyes with the King of a once rival species.

"There are some things we have yet to disclose that we'd not like him to be present for," Robert maintained eye contact for long enough to make his point known, shifting his eyes just before appearing disrespectful. It was, of course, self-preservation which led to his deference, but none of those near them implied as much.

Xavier appeared to think about it before simply nodding. Declining would be foolish, as eager for answers as they were, they'd not get any if they declined the one request made by the Rulers.

Madeline observed as his eyes glazed over slightly, and his pace slowed to a dawdle. She knew he was linking the pack elders making his request. She wasn't sure if she was going to be permitted to be present, andsomething about the way the Neaera's kept looking at her made her certain whatever they wanted to discuss involved her, and yet, they didn't want her there to hear it.

Lost in her own thoughts, she didn't notice they'd entered the town until Donalds glare resonated within her, sending a shiver down her spine. While entering the town had gone smoother then Madeline had expected -she wasn't even sure if Donald had known something was wrong -Walking past him on their way to the council, all he did was continue to stare at her with distaste. It threw her off some, to know his emotions were so potent.She wasn't sure whether she'd have preferred him to be worried and surprised, be she accepted the way he regarded her, as they continued on to the council chambers.

She wondered who Arthur was, he was obviously marginally important if her grandparents - grandparents, she'd have to get used to that - had to formally request that he wasn't present for whatever information they were about to disclose.