16.1 | In which, self-sacrifice is the cure for all

MADELINE

"Just a warning Annabella, its going to be cold!" Madeline warned her as she squirted the gel onto her stomach

"Just a warning Annabella, its going to be cold!" Madeline warned her as she squirted the gel onto her stomach. It was what seemed like the hundredth test she'd run on the poor girl, but it was necessary to find a result. She had to eliminate all external interferences in order to gain accurate results. She quickly finished up, smiling at Annabella as she left. She felt terrible for her, she knew how much she desired children, and it seemed that it was the one thing that was still deprived of her.

Even when the curse was lifted, because Albert had been interfering with the water supplies, and "burning their insides" as Mrs Matthews had called it, the women in the village were horribly scared, or fully unable to conceive.

So far, she'd come up with some alternatives, but she wasn't sure how they'd be accepted within the pack.

Looking off to the side, she was distracted again by the tests which brought her here. The one's she'd done on her own blood. Nibbling on her bottom lip, she walked over to the other station. She'd had an idea days ago, if her blood also converted itself into whichever form was most dominant in the sample, replicating as perfect cells, she wondered if when injected into a wolf the shifter gene would attach to the DNA of the receiver and act as a self replicator, healing parts of the body.

She wasn't sure about the dynamics of the idea, which is what had stopped her thus far. She didn't want to risk the lives of any shifters in order to save the others. It was a moral dilemma which she hoped to avoid entirely.

She started slightly as she heard the door opening, glaring over to find Richard. She knew he was coming, he'd been planning the trip for months now. She'd wondered how he was explaining that one to the team back home, and decided that he probably didn't tell them. Smiling at her mentor, and her boos in sense, she made the snap decision to approach him with the idea of blood transfusions to repair the damages within bodies. After all, she'd been drinking the water for days before she'd figured what the issue was with it, if the drug was that potent, and if her blood didn't have restorative properties, she'd also have shown the same effects as the others.

Quickly filling him in on the idea, she also explained the dilemma.

"I don't want to risk the few for the many. It's not something I could ask of them either." She explained, she was entirely torn by the decision, and hoped that as the owner of the company he'd be able to make an informed decision.

"I'll approach them, we'll be completely honest. If we operate under full-disclosure, then everyone is making an informed decision." He stated, she knew he wasn't asking her permission. She'd given away that ability when she asked him to make a decision. Nodding slightly she sighed, she'd have to inform Xavier before they did anything.

Richard raised his hand to stop her from standing and finding him,

"I've already linked him, he'll be here in a moment," he supplied when she looked at him in confusion. She kept forgetting she was able to do that. After years of only being able to communicate with Martina, the ability to link other wolves was one she'd still found invasive on a number of levels. She simply nodded before sitting down, and going over her notes again. She needed to figure a way to explain the situation as a level with everyone would understand. Madeline was more than happy to explain more to those who understood, but as a general explanation she knew what she needed.