Epilogue | In which, she thinks its over

MADELINE

As they spun their way around the ballroom, Madeline felt giddy with happiness

As they spun their way around the ballroom, Madeline felt giddy with happiness. She hadn't felt this degree of enjoyment for a long time, dancing with her mate surrounded by pure acceptance was something she'd never thought she'd feel. She never thought that she'd ever belong in any place. Yet, all around her were family, friends, and newly formed alliances. Everything was as it should be in the world, or so Madeline appeared to think. She knew that off to the side of the room a women stood, glaring at the two of them. She felt the words the women threw in her direction, I had to die for this happiness. It pushed through the room, and Madeline noted that the women smiled as she flinched at the idea.

The women stood, and watched as Madeline stumbled slightly, before regaining her footing. She was glad the girl could detect her. Smiling at the man in Madeline's arms, the women admired the boy before her. He'd grown up to be a stunning man. She just wished that he, or his father were able to see her.

She didn't know that Madeline could, and the women didn't realise that so could Rodger. Madeline glanced over a there repeatedly, making are she never made it obvious enough that the women would realise what she was doing.

It was exactly as there diary had said. All through the castle there were the souls of all those who had died in the vicinity of the castle. Trapped. It was how Madeline got her powers, how Neaera had gotten her powers in the first place. Madeline knew she'd have to tell Xavier but she wanted to give him this one night.

They had to find a way to break whatever was holding them here. She knew Neaera had felt the same, which is why she'd left Rodger, who was the emissary to the Gods. Yet, he would always be loyal to the line of the Neaeras.

The women knew that her family felt her, especially when she was near to them, but neither could hear, nor see her. She was not mad at any of them, as much as she despised death, and being stuck in such a place. She despised Neaera, for taking the easy way out. She didn't know the entire story, but she'd made her assumptions, and as all vengeful spirits did, she was sticking to them.

Neaera had told the girl that she'd been trapped, and then she'd "sacrificed" her life for that of Rodger. If only the girl knew, she'd not be so happy in this haunted place. Glancing around the room, she warned every stuck soul to not act tonight. She'd decided to give them one night of happiness. They deserved at least that.