4.2 | In which, a theory begins to form

MADELINE

She'd known the possibility of werewolves being present, but she'd hoped she'd have been wrong

She'd known the possibility of werewolves being present, but she'd hoped she'd have been wrong. Despite herself being a wolf she took a step back. Madeline was surprised to find Xavier directly behind her.

She felt his chest rumbling as the wolf came closer.

She reached out towards the wolf, where she'd felt nothing but comfort from the presence of other wolfs previously, this wolf didn't have the innate feeling of home, rather, it felt like isolation, and insanity.

She felt Martina pushing for control, in response to the threat, but managed to hold her back.

'Madeline,' the she-wolf hissed, 'he is not alone,' she fought the urge to spin on the spot, knowing it would disorient Xavier. Instead, she drew on her senses, pushing out into the forest, there was more than one, or two, there was practically an army hiding in the trees. She knew the moment Xavier sense the same thing she did, as his entire body stiffened.

'Rouges, in the Southern forestry quarter', she flinched at his tone and volume, before realising, he hadn't said anything aloud, he was speaking to his pack. So why did she hear it too?

As he lightly placed his hand on her waist, pushing her behind him. She felt his thoughts wash over her, "...how did she..." pulling her into his head, before pushing her back out, "please don't be afraid of me..." he finished his thoughts, before the voice fainted as he removed his hand.

Madeline stepped to the side, looking around his body. She gauged their odds and wasn't liking any perceivable outcomes. In front of them were two wolves, prowling their way from the forest, and behind them, another wolf stood, ready to fend off any attempts of escape.

She knew very little about shifter-weres, despite what she herself had discovered, but she still did not like their odds.

"Don't forget, they won't know that we're not human," Martina softly said into Madeline's head, sending a feeling of reassurance. She found herself calming slightly, Martina was right. Although they didn't have any fighting experience they'd at least provide a small amount of confusion and distraction, perhaps, enough to make a difference.

"Sorry Madeline," Xavier said, giving her a look, she couldn't decipher, before pushing her to the ground. She managed to catch herself blinking a few times to catch up with her own thoughts. She'd landed face-down, wincing slightly she looked up slightly, where the body of a wolf covered her. It wasn't hard to deduce where this wolf had come from, considering Xavier had disappeared. She'd allowed herself to be distracted by her surroundings, enough, that she hadn't noticed a fourth wolf emerge behind them. But, Xavier had.

All four wolves began moving towards them, and Madeline had to resist the urge to move. She trusted Xavier knew what he was doing. She felt the uncertainty coming off him in waves and cringed at the responding growl from the surrounding wolves. She could tell Xavier didn't know which direction to face, being surrounded was the least ideal scenario, especially when you had another person to keep safe.