F O U R T E E N

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

What the hell is that noise? And why can't I shut that stupid sound off? It's so freaking cold. Or am I hot? Who the hell-

Wait, why can't I open my eyes? Why can't I open my eyes? Jesus lord, why can't I open my eyes? Am I dead? Oh God. What the hell is wrong with me? Shit. Am I in Hell? For all the bad shit that I did? Yeah, keep cussing. Like that's gonna help you even more.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

I can hear the constant sound of the beeping but no one's shutting it off and I can't find where it is. Is it my alarm? What if it's my alarm?

"Has she woken up?" I hear a voice ask. Whose voice is that? 

"She's not waking up," I hear another voice cry out. Is that--Is that Yasmin? "It's been a month and she still hasn't woken up yet, Damon." 

I can hear her crying. It's Yasmin, she's here.

"Yasmin! Yasmin, I'm awake," I call out to her. 

"Damon, she needs to wake up," I hear her cry again. Why can't she hear me? I said I'm awake! 

"Yasmin, I'm right here," I tell her. 

"Is she awake yet?" I hear Noah ask. "Oh God! NOAH I'M RIGHT FUCKING HERE," I shout at him.

Why can't I see anything? Why is it so dark? And why can I only hear things? Am I really dead? Did I really die? Oh my god. Mom! What about mom? Where is she? What if she's in a miserable state because I'm dead?

"CALL THE NURSE, HER HEART MONITOR'S STOPPING," I hear Aliyah scream. Wha-

****

Have you ever wondered what it'd be like to be in Heaven? What it actually would be like? Who you'll see? If you'll meet any new people? To see your loved ones who were long gone? As crazy as it sounds, I don't want to go to Heaven. At least not just yet. I don't want to meet new people, I don't want to see my loved ones who were long gone. I don't want any of that.

"Why," I hear a little voice ask. Why? Because...

Because if I meet new people, see my loved ones, or see what Heaven looks like, I'm afraid I might want to stay. So, I don't want to see what Heaven looks like nor do I want to see my loved ones that were long gone.

I'm in a place filled with darkness. I can't see anything. Nothing. Just pure darkness. To be honest, I've always been afraid of the dark. I used to hear stories about monsters living in the shadows, and it's true. There are monsters living in the dark, living in the outside world. They're living everywhere, roaming the streets, roaming the parks, clubs, schools, etc., you name it.

I keep walking around, not sure where to go. Everything is just so lonely and empty. Nothing's here. Nothing's living. Nothing's walking. Except me, of course. But there's literally nothing here.

"Davina, sweetheart, is that you?" I hear a familiar voice call out to me. It's so far away, so distant. I quickly turn around, only to be met with darkness. "It's okay sweetheart, just open your eyes, open your eyes to the light," I hear the voice again. It's a softer and angelic voice. I know that voice.

"Nana?" I ask. "Is that you?"

"It's me, sugar. It's Nana," I hear her again. She's here

"Nana, I miss you," I tell her. But everything's dark and I can't see her. 

"I miss you too, sugar, but you need to open your eyes," she tells me. 

"I can't. I can't open my eyes. It won't let me," I cry. I'm crying because I can't open my eyes and I miss Nana. "Where's Pops?"

"Pops isn't here. He couldn't come see you," Nana said sorrowfully. 

"It's okay," I smile. Maybe she can see me.

"Why is it so dark, Nana?" I asked her. 

"Because you haven't opened your eyes yet, sugar. You need to open your eyes so you can see the light," she tells me. I can see the smile on her face and see her eyes shining brightly. Keep using your imagination to help you.

"I want to open my eyes," I speak up. "I need to open my eyes." 

Open your eyes, D. C'mon. It's not that hard. Open your eyes and you'll be back home. "But what about you, Nana?" I ask out loud.

"What about me?" Nana asked. 

"I don't want to leave you here with Pops. Can't you guys come with me?" I begged, the shakiness in my voice loud and clear. 

"I wish we could, sugar, but we can't. We belong here," she says sadly.

But what about me? And mom? Mom would be happy to see Nana and Pops. It's been to long. I'm sure mom would be really happy to see them.

"Do you feel that?" Nana asks. 

I furrow my brows. "Feel what?"

"Relax your body, breathe in and breathe out, you'll feel it," she tells me as I follow her instructions. Wha--What is that? It feels light and feathery. 

"It's your time to go back to where you belong," I hear Nana but this time she sounded so far and distant.

"Time? To go? To go where, Nana?" I quickly asked. I was afraid to be alone, to be in this dark, pitch black place. I wanted Nana and Pops here with me. 

"You'll be okay, sugar. All you need to do is let yourself be free and open your eyes. You'll be okay when you wake up. Pops and I will always watch over you. Just know that we'll always love you," she whispers out the last part before I felt her presence had completely vanished. Nana isn't here. She's not here anymore and I'm all alone.

You can do this, D. All you gotta do is open your eyes and you'll be back home. Listen to Nana. Nana is always right. Just let yourself be free, relax, breathe in, breathe out and then open your eyes. You can do this. You need to get back home. Think about mom, Yasmin, Aliyah, Zelda, Noah, Jay, Damon, Alex, Hayes, the twins.... Zach. They're all waiting for you. Just open your eyes.

"Just open your eyes," I said.

And then I did. I finally opened my eyes.

~~~~

D's a strong girl who's afraid of the dark. It's okay to be afraid of the dark because let's all be honest, that's where the true monsters hide and that's where they live. They feed on fear.

Vote, Comment &' Share.

🍯Honey Love🍯