Rule 32: Don't Let Him Plan A Party

"Casey!" I spun to see Nicole, Cam, Shawn, Ethan, Claire, and Sadie all jumping on to the carousel. Kyle wrapped his arm around me as I grabbed my phone to take pictures of them. Shawn was waving at the top of the tiger he was on. 

"Bethy!" Shawn called. Beth waved at our youngest brother as the carousel begin to spin.

Kyle looked down at her, "Carousel's don't go that fast Beth."

She shrugged, "I just ate and I'm not about that woozy life."

I smiled at my younger sister as we watched them on the carousel. They were all smiling and laughing and that warmed my heart. We needed to laugh more.

These kids have seen and experienced too much. I really feel for Cam and Beth. I feel like Shawn might have a new chance and won't remember our parents but you never know how deep trauma can go.  

Maddy and Tommy were away, taking a two day vacation and Kyle and I figured that the kids would love to go to the mall. Kyle and I had to drive separate but it's worth it to see them enjoying themselves.

It was hard to convince them to go. Kyle and I were both still 17 but it didn't help that we were dating according to Tommy. But then Maddy gave him the snide comment that they lived together when they were 17 too.

As usual, Maddy got her way and here we are. But they needed the break just as much. Maddy spends her free time fighting for the kids. Tommy's even picked up a couple extra shifts for some spare cash.

We're supposed to find some party decorations but that can wait. Now, we're just two seventeen year olds with seven kids. The looks we get are kind of funny.

They bounced off the carousel and Shawn ran over and sat on my feet. His little arms wrapped around my feet as the rest of my siblings and cousins bounced over. "So aren't we supposed to get some decorations?" Nicole asked.

"We don't need decorations for my birthday." I responded. I picked Shawn up as Kyle pulled Ethan on to his shoulders.

"No I mean for the grad party."

I stopped in my feet and looked at Kyle who had a sheepish grin on his face. "What did you just say?" I turned to my cousin.

"She was kidding." Kyle said.

"Wait, I thought we were having a double party?" Cam asked.

"Hold on." I held my free hand up. "What is going on?"

"Casey-"

"Oh, you know I hate parties."

"You weren't supposed to know." He glared at Nicole and Cam. Cam had a giant smile on his face and gave me a thumbs up.

"A secret?"

"Not really. We all knew but you." Beth responded while looking at her phone. I looked at Kyle.

A smile appeared on to my face anyway. "You love your parties."

"I love you."

Cameron eye rolled and Ethan stuck his fingers in his ears making me laugh. I grabbed his hand and we continued on to the party store. 

"I know."

~~~~~~~

I met Jen at my locker after school. She held a giant red box with a neatly tied bow on top. "Jen, you didn't have too."

She snorted, "Casey you're my best friend. Of course I'm going to get you a birthday gift."

I shook the box and didn't hear it rattle so I raised my eyebrow.