it's you

third person pov

ever heard of a story where, when one meets their soulmate, a tattoo starts to appear on their skin? if you haven't, then let me explain. they can start to see it when they get close to them. they can see it more vividly when they physically touch each other. for example, if they kiss or hold hands or simply brush up against them, the tattoo can become completely visible, either on their arm, chest, hand, wrist, or perhaps even their necks on very rare occasions.

now that i've explained this, let me tell you a story from this young man's point of view. i suggest you make yourselves comfortable, by the way. maybe grab a snack or a drink and come back, because this, my friend, is going to be a pretty long story.

~~~

kian

i wake up to my alarm and press the snooze button almost immediately. i try to fall back asleep, but before i drift off again, my alarm wakes me up just five minutes later. i groan loudly. why the fuck do i have to wake up so early on a saturday morning? i think to myself. i would actually enjoy my mornings so much more if i didn't have to wake up so damn early almost everyday. at least i get my sundays off.

i reluctantly roll out of bed. literally. i fall on the floor with a soft thud. thankfully i didn't hit anything too hard. i did hit my funny bone, though. shit hurt like a motherfucker. i rub it. as if that's gonna help any.

i walk to my bathroom. i brush my teeth, try to make my hair look at least somewhat decent so i don't dirty looks, and walk out of there. i go back to my bedroom to get dressed and ready for work. i work as a barista at a nearby small coffee shop. it's called caffeine dreams. why such a stupid name is beyond me. the only thing that really intrigued me was that i could basically walk there whenever i needed to. i slip into the first outfit i come across which happens to be a pair of skinny jeans, a black t-shirt, and some black sneakers.

i grab my apartment keys, lock the door, and walk out to the elevator. i push the button to take me all the way to the entrance of the apartment complex. i walk about five blocks until i finally reach the coffee shop. i walk into the front door. i walk to the back and put on my apron. it has the name of the coffee shop on it. the apron itself is gray. the letters that spell out "caffeine dreams" are in black.

i go behind the cash register, waiting for the first customer to come through the front door.

"we've got a customer," i hear the manager, matthew, say from a nearby table. when he got here is beyond me since i didn't notice him when i first got here.

i sigh heavily from where i stand. can't they go to starbucks or something? i ask myself. i mean, come on. i work right next to one. at a small cafe that isn't all that popular. plus, their food and coffee is just a bit more expensive and probably better than ours. people can take only a few steps there and not bother me. it's not like my soulmate or something is going to walk through the door someday.

a young man around my age approaches the cash register. he has a beanie on, most likely to hide his messy bed head. i still see some brown curls poking out. his harry potter-like glasses make him look like a cute nerd. it seems like he slapped on the first thing he saw when he entered his closet. that i can relate to. he's got a plain white sweatshirt on along with some gray sweatpants. the outfit suits really suits him.

i'm kind of glad he didn't go to starbucks, actually. this guy's kind of cute. too bad he's not my soulmate. how i would love to spend the rest of my life with him. to cuddle his small body for hours at a time while we listen to music or watch a movie we both love. snap out of it, kian, i tell myself. i'm already thinking about my entire life with this complete stranger and i don't even know his first name.