first time for everything

kian

"way too fucking early," i tell myself as i hit snooze on my alarm clock.

i get up and start to get ready for school. i'm a senior and it's my last day of high school. how crazy is that? then, tomorrow's graduation and in the fall i'm off to college.

sounds kind of scary when i start to think about it. having to move out, become an adult, pay bills, do taxes. so much stuff to do. god, what i would kill to be a little kid again.

"damn it, kian, hurry up!" i hear my dad yell to me.

"calm down! i'll be out in a sec!"

i slip on some black sweatpants, a plain white t-shirt with checkered black and white vans, grab my book bag, and head to the kitchen when my dad looks at me, despondent.

"why the hell do you never wake up early? even on the last day of high school." he's making his usual breakfast. coffee, specifically dark roast, with a couple of cookies from our local grocery store. today, it's three chocolate chip cookies. they look soft and chewy. disgusting. personally, i prefer cookies that are crunchy.

"especially on the last day. i'm not a morning person and i'll never be one. we've been over this so many fucking times."

"don't talk to me like that!"

i lower my head. "sorry. i didn't mean to go off."

"yea, i believe it. now go, you're gonna be late."

"i'm always late. what's your point? one more tardy slip isn't gonna hurt me."

he rolls his eyes and picks up one of his cookies he's spread out on a paper plate. he takes a bite, chewing it slowly so he can savor it.

"see you later." i grab my book bag and head out of the door, waving to my dad.

i get into my car and drive all the way to school. as i'm opening the door to the main entrance of the school, i hear someone calling my name.

"kian! kian!" he says.

"jc!" i yell back. i see my friend, jc, sprinting towards me. once he reaches me, he hugs me tightly.

"so, how's your morning going?" he asks me, trying to match my pace.

"could be worse," i shrug, shoving my hands in my pockets.

i make my way to my locker, cleaning out everything i've shoved in there over the school year. i don't feel like coming back to it at the end of the day, so i decided to do it now. while i'm taking everything out of there, the tardy bell rings. late, as always.

"can't believe it's our last day of school," jc says, smiling wide, unfazed by the fact that now he's tardy.

"i know," i say back, ignoring the bell too. "we never have to set foot again in this shithole."

he laughs. i finish grabbing all my notebooks. we make our way to our first period class, which is u.s. government.

"morning mr. mckintley." i wave to our teacher, mr. mckintley, as i make my way to my seat.

"thank god today is the last day i'm teaching you," he sighs, exasperated.

"why? i'm one of your favorites." i bat my eyelashes, acting innocent.

"you're anything but," he says, shaking his head. "and you're always late. even today."

"very true, mr. mckintley," jc says, nodding.