Chapter 16

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."
Dr. Seuss

James drove me to the hospital.

The drive to the hospital was a blur. I don't remember much of it. All I remembered was that I was running out of the house, but was stopped when Matthew caught me. I think I was crying. I'm not sure. I think Matthew hugged me to him as he kept on asking me what was wrong. I don't know what I told him.

Because nothing was wrong. In fact, something was finally right.

When I first answered that call, I was not sure what I was going to hear from the person on the other end, but I sure as hell did not expect, Finn telling me what he told me.

"Hayley, get here right away. Hunter is awake."

I think I told James that I needed to see Hunter. He didn't ask me any questions as he ordered Matthew to bring me to the car. As he began to drive me to the hospital, I remembered not being able to wait to get there. I remembered losing my patience and yelling at James to go faster at some point of the time. James didn't say a word as he simply drove to the hospital, a little faster than before. He must have understood how important it was for me to be at the hospital soon – he didn't even ask me to not yell at him.

When we were about half way to the hospital, I began to hyperventilate. My brother was awake. What was I going to tell him? That our mom is dead and our sister is in a coma from which we are not sure if she is going to wake up or not? Yeah, that would go really well.

My little brother has been in coma for almost two years. He has been out of touch with the world. He would be very confused as to what was happening around him. He would want help in getting used to all the changes that were around him. It is all already going to be difficult for him, how do I tell him about mom and Alana.

"Take a deep breath, Hayley," James reached for my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze, "I really don't know what I would do if you fainted."

"I cannot help it, James," my eyes teared up and I had to stop myself from crying out loud, "The day I have been waiting for has finally arrived. My little brother is awake. And I don't know what I am supposed to do! How am I going to tell him everything that happened in the time he was asleep?"

"Hayley..."

"I cannot just barge into his room and be like, 'Oh, hey, Hunter! You are awake. You have been in a stupid coma for about two years. Alana is still in coma though. Oh, and did you hear? Mom is dead!'? I don't think that will go very well."

"Baby steps, Hayley," he sighed, "Have you ever heard of that? Stop panicking first."

"I-"

"Look, your brother needs you right now. He needs your help to get a grip with everything around him that has changed in the past years that he was asleep."

I shook my head, a drop of tear trailing down my cheek, "I don't know what to tell him."

"Your brother is awake. Just remember that for now. You are going to go there and shower him with love that he has not felt for the past two years. You don't have to talk about anything else right now. We'll take things as they come."

I was exhausted. I had no more energy to argue with James. I had no energy to tell him what I felt at this moment and what I was exactly afraid of. He wouldn't understand anyways. It was not his brother; it was not mine – I was the one responsible to fill Hunter with all the gaps that would be missing in his brain.

I silently leaned back, not bothering to give my best friend a reply. I was in no mood for that. My mind was refusing to rest with all the 'what ifs' that it has been questioning me with. Even if I was to tell James about all that, I don't think he could possibly help me with this. These were my demons to chase and I have to do it on my own. There was no other go.