Chapter 6

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping outside my bedroom window. Some bird had built a nest in the big tree that was to the side of our house, which was exactly where my room's window was. At first, I was not very excited about the fact that the tree outside my room had some bird living in it now, I mean, it was nothing out of the ordinary for me, but then, it laid eggs and the eggs hatched. Now, I am excited to wake up every day to the sound of the birds chirping because in some odd way it had a very calming effect on me.

I sat up on my bed with a smile on my face, thinking about what I was going to be today. I didn't have a lot of plans. I will be going to the cemetery and the hospital like usual, but today instead of going there in the morning before work, I would go in the afternoon. And then maybe I could go to this bookstore down the street from the hospital and buy the new book series by Penelope Lauren that was released last week. I was a great fan of her works and Dale is paying for the book, so why not?

Making a mental note to myself about how I should also make an appointment at the hospital to visit Alana this week sometime, I got off the bed and made my way to my bathroom to do my morning duties. Since I had time, I decided that I could take a bath sometime later, I stretched my muscles, walking out of my room.

I yawned as I made my way down the stairs, the smell of pancakes was the thing that had me out of bed and walking. I had a day off from work today because Skylar, Rebecca and Kate are all working today. Charlie said that I could take some rest if I wanted to. I deserved it, he had said. That was the reason I had slept in today instead of getting up early and running to the cemetery to see mom before I went to work like I do every day.

Stretching my muscles, I walked into the kitchen, a smile stretching at my lips, "Good morning."

"Good morning," two voices chorused together and my smile immediately turned into a scowl when my eyes landed on Brody who was also sitting at the dining table, happily eating the pancakes, freshly made by Dale.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, glaring at the idiot that I call as my enemy, "Don't you have a house to go to?"

Dale sighed, choosing to not get involved in mine and her boyfriend's fight as she continued eating her pancakes. She always does that. Whenever it looked like I and Brody were going to go head first, fighting with each other, she just steps out of our lives and then comes back only after we have gotten off of each other's' throats.

Brody scoffed, "Yes, I do have a house to go to, but I am here because my girlfriend lives here."

"And your arch nemesis lives here too," I reminded him, picking up a plate and stocking it with a lot of pancakes, "Who by the way, would love it if you didn't show your face to her, first thing in the morning. It's already hard enough that I have to see your face more than once a day, thanks to my best friend, I don't want to be seeing your face first thing in the morning too. My entire day today is going to be a disaster."

"All thanks to me," he said, smiling at me sarcastically.

I narrowed my eyes at him and then without even missing a beat, took the salt shaker, unscrewed the lid and added it to his pancakes. Brody's mouth hung open as he looked at salt topped pancakes on his plate before looking up at me. I brought my plate closer to my chest, because it was the last batch of pancakes that Dale had prepared and he may try to steal it.

When Dale saw what I had done, she gasped, looking up at me with disbelief, "Hayley Dixon!"

"What can I say?" I grinned at her and shrugged, "I love adding taste makers to his food."

"You added salt to my chocolate pancakes, Hayley!" Brody exclaimed, looking up at me with sad eyes. I even saw his eyes watering a little, but I just rolled my eyes at him, not falling for one of his tricks to get to me.