Chapter 10

As soon as I entered the ballroom, I placed my present along with the rest of the presents on a table next to the entrance and smiled at Christopher who had waited for me when I did that. I walked back to his side and let him lead me to where Matthew was waiting for him - Nicholas has not yet arrived, I checked and was really happy about it. As much as it was unfair of me to wish this, I would really be happy if he didn't turn up to his own father's birthday party... which sounded cruel even to myself, but whatever.

"You look beautiful, by the way," he complimented and I immediately turned red. I was not used to compliments from men who are not Hunter or Logan, this was something new to me and I was yet to get used to this.

"Thank you," I said shyly, trying to think about ways through which I could push the blush out of my face, "You don't look too bad yourself."

Christopher smiled one of those heart stopping smiles at me, before we reached Matthew who was sipping on a glass of champagne sitting by the bar. I had a mini heart attack, trying to get his smile out of my mind before I shook my head and looked at Matthew.

I observed him and what he was wearing carefully, instantly realizing that both the brothers were wearing similar types of suits; I noticed, with only the shirt color that they were wearing different. While Christopher was wearing, as I already said, a shirt that was a black colored, Matthew's shirt was red and bright.

Christopher caught Matthew off guard by slapping the back of his head which made him splutter and cough out his champagne. I laughed a little as he turned around with wide eyes to look at the culprit who had attacked him, "What the hell, Chris?"

"I should be asking that," Christopher deadpanned, "What the hell, Matt? Dad is not even here yet, but you have started to drink already? At this rate you will be hammered before our old man arrives. At least wait till you've wished him a happy birthday before getting drunk and passing out. He is on his way here, mom is already having a hard time keeping her glee in and lying to him about just going to a celebratory dinner here for his birthday. She would not like to see you passed out or puking when they arrive here," Christopher explained, looking at Matthew with a deadpanned expression.

"Says you," Matthew scoffed, giving Christopher a look that I couldn't really fathom, "You are the one who cannot hold his liquor down, and besides, I'm not really going to get drunk; this is just harmless drink, Chris. Loosen up a little," he then turned to me with a grin, "Look at who finally decided to show up!"

I almost rolled my eyes at his dramatics, "I told you I would be here and not to mention, if it involved James, you can always count me in."

"Hayley!" he exclaimed still with a grin and pulled me into a surprise, quick hug, before releasing me, "You look beautiful, just like a princess."

"You are being dramatic," I told him with a smile tugging up my lips, "But thanks for the compliment anyway."

"I am being dramatic?" he scoffed, "Bullshit. You are really beautiful tonight, in a dress, wearing makeup and all, not that I am telling you that you look beautiful only when you wear makeup, it is just that you look more feminine today," he paused, "Dang it, that could be taken in the wrong sense too," he bit his bottom lip as he looked up at me, "You know what? I am just going to shut up."

"Are you sure that you are not drunk already?" Laughing, I shook my head at him, "It's okay, Matthew. I get it. I look different in a dress and makeup all that. But don't you remember, you saw me with makeup and in a dress a few days back in the University event?"

"I didn't really notice," he gave me a sheepish smile, "You were busy glaring at my dad and plotting Brody's death. I was busy with the program and my own issues. Sorry."