Chapter 1

"Hey, mom!" I greeted my mom as I sat down on the grassy ground of the cemetery. Yeah, you heard it right! A cemetery.

Erica Dixon was my mom's name and it had been a little over a year and a half - one year and seven months if I should be exact - since she had died and there has never been even a single day where I didn't think about her. God, I missed her so much. She was a super mom and a very kind soul.

I had not had the pleasure of knowing my father as he had deserted us when I and my siblings were still kids. I don't even know his name for crying out loud - our mom told us that we need not know that. All I had known were my mom, my sister and my brother and they were more than enough for me.

My mom had dark brown hair that thank god, I had inherited too – though hers was more beautiful than mine. I still remember the way her hair would hang down her back in natural loose curls and the way they would shine and glitter in sun. She had the healthiest hair I have ever seen.

Her bright green eyes would blaze with the happiness she felt as she used to smile at me and my brother every morning. I was jealous – totally jealous of her bright smile and the crinkles that would develop on the corner of her eyes every morning when we used to greet her in the kitchen.

Hunter, my younger brother would knock his shoulder into mine making me stumble a little bit and glare at him for his action while Alana, my little sister would just roll her eyes at our childish actions before walking to the dining table. Our mom would just shake her head at us and smile as if this was the amusing thing to happen in her life.

In a way, it was.

My mom solely owned the Dixon group of companies which was a million dollar Turnover Company back then. Our company was a leading brand of sanitary wares. We manufactured and sold ceramic plumbing fixtures such as sinks, lavatories, or toilet bowls. We also created one of the best bathtubs and faucets in the world.

Running a successful company, as big as ours was had its downfall too. One such being the amount of stress that she felt. I could see it in her eyes every evening when I return back from school. The smile that she had on her face in the morning would have vanished off her face in the evening and an ugly frown would be marring her features as she worked away in her laptop. The frown would still be present even when she sleeps and will only vanish the next morning when I, my sister and my brother walk into the kitchen pushing each other playfully and rolling our eyes at each other.

I was just settling into my first year of college, well not really, I was half way through my freshman year in college when that incident happened, changing my life completely. Hunter was just in his junior year of high school while Alana was in senior year of high school – still kids, still my little brother and my little sister – when both of them and my mom got into an accident while they were returning back from one of our Saturday night out – it was our routine as a family.

I had moved all the way from New York to California for college and all it took was one mid night phone call that changed my entire life for me to come back to the ever busy New York. I had to immediately rush back to New York only to see my mom already dead and my brother and sister half dead.

I sighed, shaking myself out of those memories that still give me nightmares and looked at my mom's headstone.

Erica Summer Dixon

Loving daughter and proud mother

1971 – 2014

A small smile lighted up my face, "How are you today? I am all good. My alarm clock decided to stop working today and I got up later than usual mom. Charlie is going to be super pissed. Whatever, I don't care. You are more important to me than him."