Chapter 3

I was going to have a bad day. I can already feel it in my bones that something is not going to go the way I would want it to.

Having a job interview on a Friday morning, was not really a bad thing. I can manage that. I can just go to the job interview, talk with confidence, show Nicholas Manhattan what I have got and impress him. To me that seemed like a really simple thing to do. Really.

Having to ask permission from your current boss – on who you might possibly have a crush on – for going to another interview, was not all that huge issue to me either. I had already managed that. All I had to do was smile a little too sweetly and tell him politely that I needed permission to not show up at the cafe for a day. That was all it took. He didn't even ask me the reason as to why I am going on a leave, not that I would have told him the truth behind my absence, but whatever.

Having to prepare oneself mentally for an interview was not really difficult either. I was sure about attending the interview. I had refreshed all my codes and all the computer language that I had learnt on my own when I was in high school - you could say that I had an interest in computer science and all those mind boggling coding that was behind every computer and phone application. So, no, it was not a difficult thing to me. Not really.

What was difficult for me was finding a perfect formal dress to wear for the interview. It was also a bad thing because I didn't have any. My mom's formal office wear was all too much for me, so I had had them taken away from me a few weeks after my mom's funeral. I didn't think that I would need her clothes, obviously, I didn't know that I would be having an interview scheduled with MBT Inc., much less with one of the CEO's Nicholas Manhattan.

I looked through my small closet, flipping every last pair of dresses and skirts I had, trying to find a perfect dress that I could wear for a formal interview. I cannot just show up in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, that wouldn't be appropriate.

I have never been to one of these formal interviews - not if you consider the short interview that I had with Charlie where I had worn my old yellow Mickey Mouse t-shirt and a pair of sweatshirt because it was a very informal interview with Charlie; I wouldn't even call it an interview because we had just chatted about high school the whole hour over a cup of coffee and a chocolate muffin before he told me that I got the job.

The waitressing job that I had gotten in Mellow's cafe was my first job and fortunately for me I didn't have to experience that much of a big deal with an interview - Charlie had been my friend for a long time and that helped me to get the job even when I did not have any experience with waitressing; Which kind of became unfortunate today, because I didn't know what kind of clothes I should wear to this formal interview I had with Nicholas Manhattan.

"Ugh!" I pulled at my hair as I looked at the mess that I had created in my small closet, "What am I to do? What am I to do?!"

"Hails!" I heard Dale, my best friend calling me from down the stairs, "Are you ready? I am heading out in a few and I can drop you at the MBT as I am going that way."

MBT is the short for Manhattan Brothers' Technologies which is the company that is being solely run by the Manhattan brothers as everyone likes to call it - Since I met Nicholas yesterday at the cafe, I know one of the brothers - well not technically, but whatever. I later learnt from James last night when we talked to each other on phone without being watched by Nicholas, that Nicholas has two brothers, Matthew and Christopher. Christopher is the eldest with Nicholas being the youngest of the brothers.

"I am not going anywhere. Let me just die here!" I screamed, falling back into my bed, completely giving up on finding the perfect formal attire for my interview today. I couldn't find anything, so I am not going to go and make a fool out of myself.