Chapter 11

The next day, I had slept in; it had been late when James and Paige had finally dropped me home from the party and I was dog tired. It was a little past noon when I woke up. Sighing, I had gotten myself out of my bed and had made my way to the bathroom. I didn't have a lot of time because my shift today started at two and I had to get ready.

Quickly, getting dressed, I exited my room and skipped down the stairs into the kitchen to see Brody standing there, lost in thought looking off into space – shirtless might I add. His forehead had wrinkles, as he looked like he was thinking about something very hard. I found it pretty amusing because brainless people usually cannot think. What was he trying to do then?

"What are you doing?" I asked, pulling him out of his trance as I entered the kitchen and opened the fridge, checking if there was something that I could eat.

Brody's head snapped to me the moment I started speaking and he blinked his eyes, looking as if he was trying to get something out of his mind so that he can break out of the trance that he had been in. A few blinks later he was finally looking at me and gave me a small smile.

"Good morning," he said, sitting at the dining table.

I gave him a look, "It is afternoon, Jacobs."

"Oh," he mumbled looking past me at the clock that was hanging on the wall behind me, "Sorry. Good afternoon, then."

"You're acting weird," I commented, moving to the cabinets and opening it to find a carton of froot loops in it. It was our final box and after that we wouldn't be having any food to eat. On second thoughts, I think there were a few packets of ramen noodles somewhere in the back of the cabinet.

Sighing at that, I filled a bowl with froot loops and added some milk to it. My stomach was grumbling in hunger as it was my first meal since last night and even last night I had not eaten anything properly. It was impossible to satiate my hunger when anxiety had been clawing at my stomach since the moment I had ran into Elijah; I had to deal with that and completely avoid him too. Then there was Nicholas – I was running away from him because he wanted answers. He wanted to know how I knew Elijah and how he knew me.

I slid in the chair opposite to Brody as I started to eat the cereals from the bowl in front of me. As I chewed and swallowed the cereals, I looked up at Brody and saw him back in the trance that he had previously been in, his eyes looking distant as he stared at something behind me.

I scrunched my eyebrows as I frowned at him before turning over and looking behind me to find out what he was so intently staring at. When I found nothing that was worth staring at, I turned back to look at the idiot, wondering what the hell went wrong inside that non-existent brain of his.

"Brody?" I called and his head immediately snapped to me, "Are you alright? What are you staring at?"

"No, nothing," he sighed, shaking his head slowly, "I was not staring at anything. I was just thinking about something."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Are you alright?" I asked again, cocking my head to the side.

"I am fine, Hails," he nodded his head, looking like he was trying to convince himself than anything else, "I am really fine."

I was not really convinced with his reply, but I didn't want to seem like I care, which I don't, so I just shrugged and asked another question, "Where is Dale?"

"Dale has a special class at the University because she has to make up for the hours that she lost when she got suspended and got sent out of class; not to mention she has been bunking," he shrugged, with a sigh, his forehead crinkling with worry, "She will be back in another hour or so, I guess."