Chapter 32- Complications and Planning

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."

~Confucius

----------------------------------------------

I enter the house and kick off my worn out converse before dragging my socked feet against the floor all the way to the living room. It is dark outside and none of the lights are on inside this room so the only light source is that provided by the street lamp. My body falls down onto the couch. The ruckus in my mind is still yet to subside.

This whole ordeal has driven me up a wall and I don't know if I will be able to find a way back down. Is there even a way back down?

Niall saunters into the room, not taking notice of me just yet. He is just about passing by the couch I am sitting on when he jumps back, a hand held firmly against his chest.

"Holy fuck, Harry. You scared the shit out of me."

"Sorry" I mumble in response.

"Why're you sitting here with the lights off. It's depressing." He tells me while walking over to the lamp in the corner. It is switched on before he turns back to me for an answer.

"Forgot to turn it on I guess."

"Alright, what's up with the glum mood?" He crosses his arms over his chest.

I lean forward and rest my elbows on my knees. A deep breath is exhaled before I decide on how to explain the complicated matter that has arised in my mind.

"I've done something that could potentially be very dangerous and stupid on my behalf." I tell him.

"Should I take a seat for this?" He asks me with concern and worry tied into his tone.

"Might as well join me" I say while scooting further towards the right side of the couch, clearing space for him to take a seat as well.

He cautiously sits down and gives me a questioning glance.

"I asked her to be my girlfriend."

"When I told you to be more emotionally involved I did not mean be in a relationship with her!"

"I know, Niall. I know" my hands rub back and forth over my knees. I can feel my skin through the rips of my black skinny jeans.

"Do you genuinely like her?" He asks.

"Yes. More than I ever thought I would."

"If you really like her then stop making this all about you. You're putting the poor girl in danger without her even knowing it. If the boss finds out he might take matters into his own hands."

"How am I making this all about me?" I turn to him in disbelief. How could he think that I am making this all about me? It is not like if I can control the way I feel for her. It is natural.

"You like her so you have to have her. Harry, don't forget that she will most likely get hurt in the end."

"No she won't Niall. I understand that I have a job to do but she isn't going to be effected by any of this." I argue.

"Won't she? What ever effects her family will ultimately effect her as well!"

"Not if I protect her from being hurt."

"Harry, you aren't a super hero. You can't constantly be there to watch out for her."

"I can try." I continue to be defiant.

Lauren won't get hurt. At least not while I am around. My need to protect her and keep her out of harms way has increased even more as the weeks passed. She is no longer just an assignment. She has become a part of my daily life. When I wake up early in the morning and go to school, sometimes I do not want to go but I remember that I get to see that beautiful smile of hers.