Chapter 18- Rudolph And The Hero

"We are afraid to care too much, for fear that the other person does not care at all."

~Eleanor Roosevelt

----------------------------------------------

Dakota left early this morning since her mother wanted to take her out for some shopping. I was sad to have her go since having girl time with her had proven to be really nice. It got better every time and made me wonder why I never gave it a shot prior to this.

I'm currently sitting on my couch in a big tee shirt and my hair tied up messily. Today is hopefully going to be a relaxing day off that I need. My eyes were drooping slowly but surely due to my lack of sleep. Dakota had woken me up earlier than usual just to say she was leaving so I didn't have to cook her breakfast like I usually did when she slept over. After being woken up, I thought I might try and see what it is like to have an early start to my day but so far it isn't working out too well. More than anything I just want to go back to sleep. I found myself laying down on the couch and cuddling into one of the pillows moments later. Within no time I was fast asleep.

~

"Look, Lauren, I have a green thumb. Does this mean I will be good at growing plants now?"

I look down at him and his small hand is covered in the green paint I had laid out on the small table.

"Of course! You can grow a whole garden of plants now and they will turn out beautiful" I tell him and dip my index finger into the red paint.

"Do you want to look like Rudolph?" I ask him and his face lights up with enthusiasm. He giddlidly nods his head and begs me to turn him into Santa's favourite reindeer.

"Yes, please! " He exclaims and I laugh at just how excited he is.

"Okay, but you are going to have to keep your head still and close your eyes" I direct him.

He follows my orders without any hassle, closing his eyes and remaining completely still.

My hand that is paint free grabs a hold of his chin and I keep my finger from shaking too much as I place my paint covered index finger on the tip of his nose and leave a red mark behind. His nose crunches up most likely from the slimy feel of the paint on his face before he relaxes again.

"Can I open my eyes now?" He whines impatiently.

"Not yet, I will tell you when" I say before wiping the red off my finger with the dirty cloth nearby. Next, I dip my finger into the black before making gentle dots on his face to resemble where a reindeer's whiskers would normally be located. I wiped the paint off again before walking behind him and placing my hands under his armpits to pick him up.

"Where are we going?" He asks as I start walking with his body in my arms.

"To the mirror so you can see your transformation" I state proudly.

He begins to squirm around in excitement again and I notice his eyes are tightly shut. He doesn't want to open his eyes yet because I told him not to. He is honestly so cute. I finally come to a halt in front of the mirror that is hanging on the wall. I bring my leg up and rest my knee against the wall before letting him sit on my thigh with his legs dangling off either side. My hands are still keeping him in place to ensure he does not fall.

"Lauren, can I pleaseee open my eyes?" He asks and I can feel the anxiousness radiating off of his skin. I laugh before telling him he can open his eyes and take a look.

"Wow! I look like Rudolph!" He exclaims while taking a closer look into the mirror. A huge smile has taken over his features and I can't help but smile as well.