Chapter 23- Step 1

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."

~Dr. Seuss

----------------------------------------------

Dakota's POV

My face has a smile plastered across it, proud of the plan I made on such quick notice. Lauren, on the other hand, is staring at me with her 'please tell me you're kidding' face which consists of a pained smile. It hurts to know that after all this time she still doubts me. I think my plans actually work out sometimes. Not all of them have ended badly and I am secretly crossing my fingers and hoping that this one doesn't explode in our faces. I genuinely want to help Lauren with the situation but I know for a fact we cannot sit around a mahogany table and discuss our problems as if we are at a business meeting. If we were trying to sell a new brand of fancy air fresheners, sure. But we are trying to piece together this huge puzzle that is simply unfathomable.

"Dakota, this could end very badly. Very badly." She says and her voice is thoroughly coated in anxiousness.

"There aren't many choices left and I sure as hell won't let Chloe get in the way."

Chloe is such a bitch. If she thinks she can just mess with my best friend and get away with it, she is sadly mistaken. Just wait until we get this plan in action. Everything is going to come into the light if we do it perfectly.

We will be able to get all the information we need to know about both Harry and Chloe.

I knew from the start that Harry had been hiding something. He doesn't exactly fit in perfectly and Daniel's accusations are only supporting my hypothesis. Hopefully his secret won't hurt Lauren in any way because I can see she is honestly happy with him. If she is happy, then I am too. That doesn't mean I won't watch out for her though !

"You know how awkward I get" she tried to squirm her way out of the plan. Nice try, Lauren.

"Yes. This will help you get in control of both the situation and help you get more comfortable around others" I smile at her hoping it will ease her nerves.

Her shoulders slouch down as she releases a sigh. I know in an instant she has been defeated and will comply. Her and I both know I always get my way.

My face holds a proud smile as I pull out a clean sheet of paper and begin to write down all of my ideas . This is going to take a lot of careful planning and preparation but the sooner we get started , the better.

"Are you free after school?" I inquire.

"My parents get back home today but I'm sure they won't mind you coming over" she assures me.

I nod and continue writing until the bell to dismiss us rings.

*

When lunch rolled around, I ordered my lunch in a hurry and saw Lauren waiting at the end of the hallway. She was looking around in anticipation while her foot tapped against the tile floor in a steady rhythm. My eyes look around as well to make sure the coast is clear before scattering down the hallways cautiously with the tray in my hand.

"It's about time you showed up!" Lauren sighs in relief.

"Sorry, the line was taking forever ." I explain before grabbing her arm and pulling her into the library. We went to the very back section where no one ever goes. This is where all the children's books are kept . Why do we even have children's books in a high school?

"Did you finish arranging the plans?" She asks and takes a sip from her water bottle.

"Yeah" I reply before setting the tray on a shelf and digging through my pockets for the folded up paper.