Chapter 7: Take Me Instead

        I awoke at seven in the morning and quickly got dressed and walked to my door. I opened it and looked out. James and my mom were no longer on the couch so I tip-toed through the hallway towards their room. Their door was open a crack and I saw the sleeping soundly. I silently made my way to the front door. I glanced behind me one last time before silently opening the door and walking outside. It was a chilly morning but I didn't mind. I got to school and sat on the steps waited for the first bell to ring. 

Finally the bell rang and I jumped up and hurried to my locker.  I grabbed my backpack and my books and then turned to walk away but someone grabbed my backpack and pulled me back. Surprise, it was Avi. "Hey faggot. How was your weekend?" He ask and I shrugged. Alex walked up and stood on the other side of me. "Scott! Happy Monday." He said mockingly.

"Please..." I whispered.

"Wait..what was that? Did you speak?" Avi asked in shock. I cleared my throat.

"Please, just let me go to class..." I said very quietly keeping my head down. They both erupted in laughter. 

"Oh my god! He said please Alex. We should let him because he said please right?"

"Oh yes we should!" Alex mocked. He grabbed my shirt and slammed me against the locker. "Where's your little bodygaurd huh?" Alex sneered.

'Right here!" My eyes lit up when I saw Mitch standing there looking pissed. "Let him go Alex." Mitch said firmly.

"Make me." Alex turned to face Mitch and held my arm. Mitch took a step forward and Avi stepped in front of him. 

"I don't think so champ." Avi growled taking a hold of Mitch's shirt. Mitch glared at Avi.

"Look you guys can do whatever you want to me. I don't care but just leave him alone. You want someone to torture? Torture me. Not him." Mitch said confidently. I was shocked to hear that and apparently they were too. Alex let go of me and walked over to Avi and Mitch. 

"Why do you care so much about that piece of shit over there? You would seriously take his place?" Alex asked in confusion.

"Yes. Now do we have a deal?" Avi looked at Alex waiting for him to answer Mitch.

"Sure, whatever. You'll probably be more fun anyway." Alex grinned. He punched Mitch in the stomach and Avi let him go. "Until later..." Alex sneered and the two walked away. I ran over to Mitch and helped him up.

"Why did you do that..." I asked.

"Don't worry, I can handle them. Besides, now you won't be the target anymore." He said through a cough. I felt bad. He didn't have to do that for me and now...he was going to be the one tortured. "Come on let's get you to class." He linked his arm with mind and walked me to my first period class. 

I walked into class and loked around for Avi as I sat. He was sitting three desks away from me. It felt so weird for him to sit so far away from me, I mean for the past three years he sat either right next to me or behind me and messed with me through the whole period but today he didn't even look at me. Then I realized, Mitch was in most of their classes, I wondered what they would do to him and I wished I could defend him the way he defended me.

I walked into the cafeteria and spotted Mitch standing in line. I walked over to him and he turned to me. I gasped as I saw a huge bruise on his cheek. He shrugged as I stood next to him. "What happened Mitch?" I asked but I already knew. 

"It's nothing Scott. Alex and Kevin caught me on my way to second period. Don't worry about it please." He still sounded happy. How did he still sound happy? I nodded and moved forward as the line moved slightly. "Excuse me, but this is our spot." I turned to see Kirstie and the rest of the gang standing there arms crossed. Alex walked up to Mitch and got right in his face.  "Isn't that right Mitch?" He smirked as Mitch glared at him. I look at Mitch and then at the rest of the smiling group. Mitch glanced around and the sighed.