Chapter 5

Ai/Itami POV

Gai didn't stop talking to me as his team of Genin continued to watch. I sweat dropped when he asked the same question for the sixth time, but my smile never faltered. I laughed lightly, giving a closed eye smile.

"Gai-san, I'm sorry, but I better go." I said, opening my eyes as I bowed slightly. "It was great talking to you again, I hope we meet sometime soon."

He nodded, grinning as he gave me a thumbs up. "See you later, Itami! Don't forget to be youthful!" He waved as many slips of paper left me until I had vanished. I turned into paper butterflies and fluttered over to my apartment. I was well aware of the awestruck expressions his team gave me when I had did that. It takes great chakra control to even manipulate anything, especially when it's an object, such as paper.

I opened the door and when I was inside, shut it and heaved a sigh. Today was tiring, or as I say, completely and utterly enervating, which is just the same meaning but longer and sounds smarter. I kicked off my shoes and walked down my tiny hallway. My room was just at the end while the bathroom was on the left side of it. On the right side was my weapons room, equipment, and ANBU things that I managed to keep. A lot of my precious, yet painful memories lied in there, and I haven't been in there since my discharge.

Hesitantly, I reached for the tiny handle and slowly slid it open. My katana, shiny and clean was hung on the left wall, two kunai made from the Fourth Hokage displayed on both sides. My first team I had ever joined framed on the right wall with my other achievements, such as diplomas of getting into Genin, Chunin, Jounin, and ANBU. A long table of kunai was in the middle of the room, facing the right while another row of shuriken was facing the left. In carefully organized drawers, there were paper bombs, paper seals, and paper itself.

On the wall, the one that would catch the first glance of anyone who enters, the one in the middle, was what I tried not to stare at. It had my ANBU mask, properly polished and looking new. The paint on it was fading so I decided to outline it and make it look brand new. It was a weasel mask, one that used to be Uchiha Itachi's. His departure, becoming rogue, being a traitor, it was something that I had never took well. That mask meant everything to me, the reason why I asked to keep it. He understood me when I didn't even understand myself, he was my shoulder to cry on, he was my encouragement, he was my first and only brother. Not blood related, of course.

To even think that I didn't even try to understand him, that I didn't even know what he felt. I used to always believe that he was too nice to even leave this village, so when he did, I didn't even know what to think. Though, despite him leaving, I still believe that he wouldn't even dare cause harm to this village. He wouldn't, no matter how badly people think of him now. At the same time though, how could he kill his own clan? I had to pick up the bodies that he left, and when I went across his parents, I could clearly see the hesitation when he slashed them.

Itachi is no cold hearted murderer! I mean, he killed people, yeah, but he always has his reasons. When we checked Sasuke's memories, his reason, his voice, I knew right away that he would never have such a stupid reason. Itachi didn't care about his limits or power, no, he cared about his friends and family. What I saw in his eyes, it was a hidden pain of emotion, ones that could even bring me to tears. How long did he have to endure such pain?

I... I wish I could speak to him, to try and understand him, but I can't. He was a rogue ninja now, no trace of him, just the fact that he was an S Class Criminal.

That bingo book, he was in all of them. I don't care how long until I find the truth, I just want it now. With a shuddery breath, I ripped my gaze off the mask and slid the door closed.

No time for emotions, I have a busy day.