38.

I walk down the hallway towards the group. Lucy notices me first, jumping out besides Connor and hugging me. Kirstie does the same and I stand between James and Tristan, listening to Ashley. My eyes search for Brad, but I can't see him anywhere. I look around the hallway, but there's no sign of him. I furrow my eyebrows, taking out my phone and texting him.

Me: Where are you?

Since my phone is in my hand, I check my e-mails and see one from Sasha's doctor. I gasp excitedly, looking up at Maggie with a huge grin.

"What?" she furrows her eyebrows.

"I got the baby's gender!" I squeal, stepping over to her and showing her.

"It's a girl?!" she practically screams, making everyone's head turn towards us.

"You're pregnant?!" Ashley interrupts. Maggie and I both look at her with wide eyes, then let out a laugh. The dyed haired girl looks at us with a raised eyebrow, waiting for us to finally finish.

"Of course not. My brother's girlfriend is," I roll my eyes, answering the question.

I feel my phone vibrating in my hand and I look down at it, seeing a message from Brad.

Brad: Omw

I slide my phone into my back pocket and listen to the others. A few minutes later, when I'm alone with Maggie, I feel someone grab my behind. I turn around with my right hand in the air, ready to smack whoever touched me, but my hand falls to my side as I look into Brad's eyes.

"Jesus, you scared me. I was ready to slap you," I let out a sigh of relief.

"I noticed," he lets out a chuckle.

Brad leans down and peck my lips, then greets Maggie. The curly haired boy wraps an arm around me, telling us about the fight his parents had this morning, that being the reason he came later than usual.

"So... are you two back together or..?" Maggie asks as she walks with us towards psychology.

"I, um-" I stutter, not sure what to say.

"We're not together. Yet," Brad answers, smirking down at me. I look away, trying to hide the blush that crept onto my face.

I elbow Brad in his side and he hisses, making my head snap up to him. I watch him with furrowed eyebrows, not understanding what hurt him. I barely touched him.

"Are you okay?" I ask, concern filling my voice.

"Yeah," he groans, quickly recovering.

I shake my head and pull his shirt up just enough for me to see a big, purple bruise on his side. My eyes widen, looking up into his with shock.

"Who did this to you?" I run my fingers along his bruise, examining it.

"No one. I fell," he lies.

"Brad, don't lie to me. You've had a blackeye not too long ago. Someone is hurting you and I need to know who," I look deeply into his eyes, hoping that he will tell me what happened.

The curly haired boy stares at me in silence for a few seconds, then finally speaks up, "Let it go, Evelyn."

Disappointment flashes through my face, but it quickly disappears as I frown and look away from Brad. Why is he so afraid to tell me who hurt him?

I let this slide until our last class is over. I'm heading outside to my car, practically running because it's raining again.

"Evelyn!" Brad's voice stops me in my tracks. I turn around and watch as he runs up to me. "I'm sorry."