28.

"Like it or not, I'm in love with Evelyn." These words keep repeating in my mind as I look at Brad in shock. He just confessed his love for me in front of everyone. My heart beats like crazy and my mouth slowly closes, forming a smile. He reciprocates, then shoots a glare to Ashley.

"Any other problem?" he asks the girl sitting across from me. She shakes her head, still in disbelief of what Brad said. "Okay then, let's go, Eve."

I look at Maggie, who just nods at me with a smile. I walk towards Brad and stop next to him, feeling his arm wrap around my waist as he turns back to Ashley.

"Leave Evelyn alone," are the last words he says before leading me out of the diner.

"Wow, I-" I start, but get cut off as I'm pressed up against Brad's car and his mouth kisses mine with want.

"I love you, Evelyn. I wasn't just saying that to get her off your back. It's the truth. Fuck, I'm so scared right now, but I can't help it," he says, making me smile.

I brush the lose strand of hair out of his face before speaking up, "I love you too, Brad. I really do."

"You do?" he gasps, looking at me in diseblief. I nod my head with a small smile, bringing his face closer to mine.

"Why are you afraid?" I press my forehead against his.

"I... I've never been in love before and... I don't want to hurt you," he gulps heavily.

"What can you possibly do to hurt me?" I ask.

"There's something you don't kno-" he starts, but my phone cuts him off. I take it out of the pocket of my jeans and answer the call.

"Evelyn, you have to come home," my brother pants into the phone.

"What? Why?" I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, pushing Brad a little so I can go somewhere more private.

"Mom... she's... she collapsed," he finally finishes the sentence. My eyes widen and I hurry back to Brad's car.

"I'll be there soon," I say before hanging up the device.

"What happened?" he asks.

"My mom collapsed. I need to go home," I say in a hurry. Brad nods his head and quickly unlocks his car, letting me sit in the passenger seat. I tell him the address and he drives there, not stopping at any red light.

-

We arrive at my mother's house an hour and a half later and I storm inside, not waiting for Brad.

"What happened?" I look at my mother, who's getting checked by the ambulance.

"I don't know," Tim shakes his head, not taking his eyes off of the woman, who's laying on the couch. As I look at her face, she's really pale and the bags under her eyes are heavy.

"She collapsed because of dehydration," one of the men stands up and turns to me and Tim. In the meantime, Brad hurried inside as well and he now has his arms around me, signaling that he's here.

"Dehydration?" Timothy asks in disbelief.

"Yes. Give her some water and she'll be fine soon," the man smiles at me and I feel Brad's grip tightening around me, pulling me into his chest.

"Thank you," I nod at the man. They both walk outside and leave, while I hurry over to the couch and kneel down next to it.

"What's wrong, mom?" I ask the woman, who slowly sits up.

"Nothing," she shakes her head.

"You're lying. Tell us what's wrong, so we can help," I look up at my brother, who's watching us just like Brad.