41. Reminsce

January 16th, 1993
Harlem, New York

Emoni,

"How long do you think you can hide from him?"

"I'm not hiding. I mean, I don't even know him. I'm not ready to be alone with him."

"Really bitch?"

"Yes really. We've already gotten way too personal for comfort, thanks to you." I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, I thought you should know that your dating a killer." She shrugged.

"Yeah, yeah, anyways if you're done being in my business, the bus is gonna be here in five."

"Whatever, see you later E."

"See ya." After the door closed I walked over to the couch and plopped down.

A loud knock on the door startled me a bit when I remembered I didn't lock the door after Nic left.

Another loud knock scared me onto the floor. I got up, sprinting into the kitchen, I snatched a knife out of the knife holder before tiptoeing back into the living room. "Listen, I have a blade just, sharp enough to split your throat," I warned.

"Well, I hope you don't plan on using it on me." The sound of his familiar voice sent the wave of fear away and in came the nerves.

I ran up to the door and opened it fully and there he stood. He looked so good. "Hey E." He said.

"Oh, um, hey Birdie," I spoke, nervously.

"Was that for me? Your blade?" He teased at my knife.

I playfully rolled my eyes. "Shut up," I said.

"Can I come in?"

"Um," I spoke. My hesitation was clearly obvious.

"What's the problem? We was just good two seconds ago."

I sighed letting him walk inside. I shut and locked the door behind him before turning my body to face his way. "We're still good Birdie. I was just doing some, some um, thinking."

His face was plain but it read doubt. "Oh really? That's why you been hiding from me?"

"I wasn't hiding."

"Sure seem like it to me, I called yo phone over a billion times." He said.

"I'm sorry Birdie. It's not you really, it's me,"

"What?" It wasn't until he grabbed my arm that I realized I was pacing. "Stop all that damn pacing and talk to me." He said.

I looked up into his sparkly brown eyes instantly getting lost in them. "I guess I just got scared." I shrugged.

"Scared?" He raised a brow. "Whatchu scared of?"

"I haven't dated since I was 16 the break up was extremely—." My sentence fell short due to his soft lips crashing into mine.

I kissed him back, my hand laid softly against his face whilst kissing him back. Our lips moved in sync once I caught his rhythm, I smiled into the kiss causing him to pull away. He pecked my lips one last time before his big brown eyes opened and landed on mine. "What was that for?" I questioned, my tone low and subtle.

"Because I'm not some little ass teenage boy, I'm a grown-ass man tryna love on a grown-ass woman. Let me, baby. I know you've been hurt, I can see that, but you can't let ya past hold you back from yo future."

I blushed, wrapping my arms around his neck. "So you're my future?" I teased.

"Shit I'm tryna be if you let a nigga in." He said earning a laugh from me.