2. Different

January 11th, 1993
Harlem, New York

Condo Building 101

Emoni,

"Didn't I tell you that you were gonna have a good time?"

I looked at her, tuning up my face a bit. "Girl bye. Me having a good time had nothing to do with you."

"I don't really think hurting a 17 year old's feelings is really having a good time anyways," she teased.

I rolled my eyes. "Shut up. I didn't mean to," I assured her.

"Girl I know, that boy is always stalking. Hopefully now he'll leave you alone."

"He was kind of sweet though," I said feeling bad.

She scoffed. "Don't tell me you fell for him?"

I kissed my teeth. "Girl hell naw. He's 17," I sighed. "I just feel bad."

"He'll be alright," she waved it off.

I rolled my eyes, at her response.

"So anyways? Where did you go?" she asked, changing the subject.

"I chilled with the club owner." I said, smiling just thinking about him.

"Bitch? Birdie?!" she shouted, jumping out of her seat, being dramatic.

"Yes, 'Birdie'," I pulled her back down in her seat.

"Don't you know he's a drug dealer?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "That has nothing to do with me."

"Ok, well. Does him being a murderer bother you?"

My eyes got big in shock. "Are you serious?"

"Yeah, I mean most drug dealers are." she said, basically saying duh to me.

"I can't believe he didn't tell me," I shook my head as my eyes filled with tears.

She kissed her teeth. "Of course he didn't tell you."

"What do you mean?!" I shoved her. "Of course he didn't tell me?!"

"I mean the man doesn't even know you. What? You think that your special because y'all hung out for the night. I mean what was he supposed to say E? 'Hi i'm Birdie and i'm a murderer'?"

I shook my head, wiping my tears away. "I don't know." I said.

Nic sighed, placing her hand on my back. "You gotta start being realistic here E."

"What should I do?"

"I think that you should just stay the hell away from him." she suggested.

I sighed. "Yeah, your right."