CHAPTER 30: HOSTAGE I; KIDNAPPED!

The drive back to Evelyn's house was quiet.

It wasn't awkward silence, no, it was tense silence. Miko and Evelyn sat in the front seats next to each other without speaking a word. Neither could bring herself to make small talk. They just grasped each other's hands for comfort. Knowing that they weren't alone helped just the tiniest bit.

Smokescreen was no better. He was more vigilant than ever and tensed everytime he sees any car that looks even the tiniest bit suspicious. Smokescreen always took Jasper, Nevada for a boring peaceful place but now, it seemed like anything or anyone could be an enemy and he'd be none the wiser.

Bulkhead had offered Miko a ride home but she had surprisingly, refused. She opted to go home with her cousin, Evelyn instead. Evelyn didn't complain, no one did. Optimus knew that while it wasn't that serious of an attack, they were still in a bit of shock and needed one another for support.

Still, he wasn't taking any chances and had ordered Bulkhead and Bumblebee to keep a long enough distance away while keeping an eye on them.

Much to Optimus's own chagrin however, he couldn't follow as his alt-mode, a red and blue Peterbill, will just raise suspicion while Arcee had to go back to Jack and guard him as well. They didn't know who MECH was targeting next.

With Raf already at Evelyn's house and apparently, still is, Bumblebee would go pick him up and send him home as per usual.

"We have arrived at your destination. That'll be 10 bucks." Smokescreen joked in an attempt to lighten up the mood as he pulled over two houses away from Evelyn's house.

"You wish." Evelyn said and offered him a strained smile. She was touched that he was at least trying to lighten things up. "Bye, Smokes."

"Ciao." Miko said with a wave though with less enthusiasm than usual.

"Be careful, Eve and Miko. Stay safe." He said. But even after they got out, he slowly stayed by the walkway rather than drive to his usual hiding spot.

'I'll wait until she gets to her house first. I better stay here and stay prepared.' He thought.

"Never thought I'd end up as a target for a terrorist organization." Evelyn said as she got out. "It's like my spy novel come to life, can't say it's a good thing considering which role you and I are at the moment."

"Yeah, makes me almost miss those snobby girls back at school." Miko said. "You doing okay?" she asked.

"I'm fine. You didn't have to tag along you know. You can go home if you want." Evelyn told Miko as they walked to her house.

"Nah, it's cool. Sides' maybe it's better if we stick together." Miko said.

"If the cons are bold enough to come out in the open to attack us, what's stopping MECH from doing the same?" Evelyn asked as she bit her thumbnail nervously. "Plus, these are humans we're talking about."

"Their advantage and disadvantage. You gotta admit, compared to the cons at least they're beatable." Miko said.

"You always manage to look at the other side of the coin." Evelyn said and smiled. "Thanks, Miko. For the support and all."

"No prob, Eve. Thanks for helping me pass my Literature test." Miko joked and they shared a quick laugh.

Sadly, the moment didn't last long.