An old 'friend'

It was early in the morning when everyone had been woken up and brought to the eating room after they all dressed back up in their daily uniforms. They all sat down and like usual the got some milk with cornflakes. But the cornflakes were of course old as hell. Connor was probably the only one who fast started to eat it all up and wouldn't even had mind a second bowl of it. But he didn't dare to ask for it. He had seen that basement long enough now and would try even harder to try and keep himself to follow the rules perfectly. While the others were still eating some whispering went around about that one of the girls had been brought back by her adoption parents. This only made Connor feel worse and made it even more scarier. Maybe it really was true that no one loved them and that no one ever would.

After all the children were gone they were send outside to the backyard where they could play. This time it was Nines turn to clean up so Connor already feared the worst when he came outside and sat down on his usual spot. Against the big tree at the side. Looking over to all the other kids playing. It was very sunny so everyone was actually playing instead of trying to find a spot to hide for the rain. It didn't took long before Gavin and a few of his friends had found him.

"I heard you were sick? Sick of yourself I'm sure!" The boy said laughing and the others laughed along. What happened after wasn't that fun. Gavin gave Connor a few harsh hits in his face, chest and stomach because he had refused to reply on his stupid jokes. After that they tied him up at the tree and laughed hard. "Now you can stay with your beloved tree forever!" Gavin said before they all ran off and left Connor alone, tied up against a tree. He just hoped that Nines would be done soon and that he would come to help him.

It took a while but after 15 minutes Nines came outside and looked around smiling for his friends. He did noticed Connor and knew that it was probably Gavin's work. He wanted to help him, he really did. He just couldn't. Especially not when Gavin had noticed his best friend and already came over to him. Telling him what he did with Connor before he bursted out in laughing again. For an 8 year old, that kid was pretty harsh and annoying. Acting like he knew everything about life.

It took hours before someone finally helped Connor who was close to passing out because he hadn't had something to drink in that whole time. A hand came out to help him up and he took it before he stood up and looked at the girl in front of him. "Kylie? You're the one they brought back?" He asked her and tilted his head.

Kylie was a 9 year old girl. She was brought here just a few days earlier then Connor. Unlike him she knew nothing about her parents. She was found by someone in a garbage trunk and that person had brought her here without saying another word. Kylie had long orange hair and had freckles everywhere. She always had this little slight pink blush on her cheeks and her olive green eyes always sparkled. She could be very kind if she liked you but she mostly was very naughty. She always tried to break the rules and hang out a lot with Gavin, Nines and his other friends. What no one knew is that she actually had a little crush on Connor since a few years. But she never told anyone because she was scared that her friends would kick her out of the group because she liked the 'loser' of the orphanage.
"Yes. I am. I don't really know why, I have been trying to be nice. I only pulled a few little pranks but they were harmless! Except for maybe the pink paint on their rabbit. But that just looked cute!" She said an smiled at him.

The adoption parents had taken her just a few months ago. In those few months she had did a lot. She was a very jealous type so when they had another older kid who got all the attention for her idea she started to make them pay attention to her. This eventually caused them their marriage because the father didn't wanted her anymore but the mother just wanted to give her another chance over and over again. When the man left with their older son of 14 the woman couldn't do anything else then to bring Kylie back. It was the only way of getting her son and husband back.

"I'm sorry to hear that Kylie. I'm sure that you will find some real good and nice parents and then they'll love you a lot!" He said smiling and gave her a hug. "Thanks for freeing me.." he said and giggled.

Kylie of course hugged him back but immediately pulled back as she had the idea that someone was watching them. For their luck it was just Nines who had seen them and he didn't mind. He already had noticed the look in Kylie's eyes when she was looking at Connor or was talking about him. "No problem. I'll go look for the others to play some more! You should get some water! Oh and Miss Puff was looking for you. She's probably in the kitchen now." She said and waved goodbye before she ran off to the others.

Connor thought about it for a little moment before he started walking inside the building and looked around a little while he got to the kitchen. Meanwhile he bumped into a big man with long white hair and a white beard. He wasn't the smallest just like Miss Puff but he seemed nice. He had some easy jeans and a funny looking blouse on with a big grey jacket over it. Though he couldn't remember that he had been here ever before. "Sorry sir." He simply said before he passed him and got into the kitchen. Immediately going over to grab a glass and filled it with water. "Hello Miss Puff! You wanted to talk to me?" He asked before he took a big sip of the water and looked at her.

"Yes I did. I did indeed. About something good this time!" She said and smiled at him. Softly ruffling his hair.