Chapter 21 - A damaged coat of paint

*back at base after retrieving the capsule from the mountain*

The team stands around the unmistakable Alchamor prison ship capsule. All staring at the Cybertronian that is inside. The yellow and black helm fins stand out and ever so recognizable. Though the sleek shine of his armor seemed to be lacking. He looks tattered and worn. When was the last time he seen a carwash? Sideswipe stands looking at the Cybertronian that looks like him, just a different color coat. Just looking at him, you might say he looks peaceful. Anyone who knew the bot, knew different.

"Sides is that?" Bumblebee steps forward, being the first one to speak.

"It has to be. But why? Why is he inside a prison cell?" Sideswipe looks away for the first time since they came back through the bridge. Looking up to Fixit for answers.

"I'll br br br bring up his record." Fixit says typing into his computers. After a few seconds, a familiar picture pops up.

"Says here, Sunstreaker, Autobot gladiator, twin to Sideswipe. It says he went on a killing spree after one of his matches."

"Wait, Sideswipe has a twin. We should probably keep him locked up then. We don't need two Sideswipes around." Strongarm chimed in, keeping her arms crossed. Sideswipe sends her a dirty look

"Killing spree? Does it say why he did?" Bee put a servo on his chin, thinking hard about the situation, as well as ignoring Strongarms comment. 

"No it does not. Just says here, he killed his boss and trainer." Fixit answered.

"Sideswipe, were you a gladiator as well?" 

"Me a gladiator? No and neither is Sunny. Someone had to have set him up." Sideswipe shouts over them. "Open up the stasis pod, now!"

"Sideswipe, I know he's your twin. I know how badly you want him back, but we don't know what he will be like if we let him out. He might try and attack us, not recognizing us right away." Bee put his servo on Sideswipe shoulder, looking at him with worried optics.

"But we need to get him out. I don't care what he did. I don't care what he does. He shouldn't be trapped in there." He argues, banging his fists against the glass. He leans his forehead against the only thing keeping him from his brother.

"I should have been with you, Sunny." He whispers, his breath leaving haze over the glass.

"Team be ready for anything, but do not shoot. I repeat do not shoot him." Bee orders. The others nodded in agreement.

"But sir, are we sure he's still an Autobot?" Strongarm pipped up.

"Don't you DARE suggest something like that about MY brother. Sunstreaker may be a lot of things, but he's no traitor." Sideswipe roars at her, in her face faster than the speed of light, ready to fight. Strongarm flinches away from him, frightened he may actually try to hurt her.

"Sideswipe! Strongarm, we will worry about that later. But I highly doubt he changed sides." Bee confirms, pulling Sideswipe back by the scruff of his neck.

Without another word said, the group stands back, ready for Fixit to open the pod. Bee gives Fixit the go and Fixit presses the button. The capsule gives a loud hiss and smoke appears, coming out of the opening. For a moment everything is silent. Not a sound is heard, Russel is even quiet, watching intently with everyone else. A black servo snaps up and grips the side of the opening, making them all jump. A painful groan is then heard. A yellow foot steps up, but before he could take another step, he stumbles out the rest of the way. Sideswipe catches him just before he hits the dirt ground.

"Its okay, Sunny. I'm here now." Sideswipe whispers to the yellow twin, coddling him like a small sparkling.

"Side...swipe?" His voice is hoarse from being not used for who knows how long. Sunstreaker's optics are dim and are half open, trying to take in the red twin. Almost as if he thinks its all just a dream.

"It's me. I'm here now." Sides lulls and pulls him in close, holding on tightly, kissing the top of his brother helm.

"He needs energon. His levels are dangerously low." Fixit orders after running a simple scan. "Sideswipe I need you to let me run a deeper scan on him. We need to know if there is any other damage besides what's on the surface."

Sideswipe slowly lays Sunstreaker down still in his arms, giving Fixit room to do his thing. Sunstreaker's optics close as he takes in a deep breath. Like he hasn't been able to breath for eons. Then he lets out a horrid cough. Sideswipe tries to make him as comfortable as possible, staring down at the wounded. He starts to notice more damage, more dried energon, staining his perfect paint job. Looking closer, he can see that one of Sunstreaker's fins is slightly bent back, as if someone had dragged him with it. Scorch marks line along his chest and a few other parts, from, no doubt, being shot at. It doesn't take a genius to see that this was more than a bar brawl. None will know what really happened, until Sunstreaker is more coherent.

"He has some internal damaging. I'll need to do surgery to correct it." Fixit rolls off to get what he needs.

Sideswipe slowly stands, carrying his brother bridle style, taking him over to the medical slab. With gentle care, he lays his brother down. Sunstreaker still lets out a groan of pain. Sideswipe kneels down and takes his hand, squeezing tightly, letting Sunstreaker know he's here. It isn't until Fixit comes back that he is pulled away by Bumblebee.

"Strongarm, help Fixit in anyway possible." Bee orders.

"Yes, Sir." She salutes and jogs to Fixit's side.

"I want to stay with him." Sideswipe begins to struggle in Bee's grasp.

"I know you do, but you need to give Fixit space to work." Sideswipe gave a huff in response. But tore his arm away and walked off in the other direction.

*--------------*

He continues to pace back and forth in front of the diner, away from the command center, where his brother is getting surgery. Each step he takes, Russel bounces in his seat. Russel has questions to ask but is unsure how to ask. Sideswipe is in clear distress, but who knows if he will respond well to anything at this moment. He is like a ticking time bomb. Until he knows his brother is alright, there is nothing else he can think about.

"Why were you and your twin separated?" The young boy asks cautiously.

Sideswipe stops pacing for a moment, looking down at Russel. "It was always just me and Sunny. We were glued to the hip.  See we are split spark twins. We aren't supposed to be separated. But as we got older it started getting harder for us. But we were brothers and we always said we would get through it. I don't really understand why, but one day I woke up and he was gone. Left a note next to me. " Sideswipe explains, leaving out the details of the damaged twins.

"I'm so sorry, Sideswipe." Russel sympathizes.

Sideswipe doesn't answer him back, just gives him a look of sadness, then he returns to his pacing. Drowning in thoughts of his twin. The past that has forever haunted him and the unknown of what his twin had been through.

"Sides, relax. You know Fixit will take good care of him." Sideswipe stops in his tracks and stares down at Denny, who just walked over.

"How can I relax? I haven't seen my brother in centuries. Now he just shows up on Earth in a stasis pod, looking like he was scrapped. How am I supposed to relax?" Sideswipe makes a good point. One that Denny agrees and doesn't say anything.

"Why don't you call Clarissa?" Denny suggests instead.

"Clarissa. I don't know if I'd be able to focus on her until I know Sunny's alright." He says sadly, kicking a few rocks.

"But it might be good for you to hear a comforting voice."

Sideswipe looks at him. Denny makes a good point. He hasn't talked to her since yesterday, not counting the trip to get the pod. She is probably wondering what is going on. He feels to stressed right now, its hard for him to concentrate. How is he going to tell her, he all of a sudden has a twin? How is Sunny going to feel about her? A ping of guilt stabs him in the chest plate. How pissed will Sunstreaker be?

"Maybe a call to her would be a good thing." Sideswipe admits.

Sideswipe turns to go try and find a private place to make the call.