Chapter 24: Blood, Bombs, Battle at First Light

Start from the beginning

That gains a response from Bellamy, who lets out a bark of laughter. "John Murphy doesn't care about anyone other than himself."

Rory glares at him and steps towards him, poking her finger into his chest. "You don't know him like I do, no one down here does, so I'd appreciate it if you just shut the hell up about his intentions."

He grits his teeth and stares back at her. They both lock eyes for a brief period, neither of them backing down.

"That was really stupid what you did in there, Aurora." Bellamy snaps, his patience finally leaving him.

"Which part? Defending my friend who we banished and left alone to die who then got brutally tortured by the enemy because they wanted any piece of information they could get from him after we ruined our chance of peace? That part?"

He clenches his jaw, trying not to lose more of his cool. "The part where you stood in-front of a loaded gun."

"So that's what all this is really about?" Rory asks quietly. "Because I stopped you killing him?"

"Were you out of your goddamn mind? I could've killed you!" Bellamy shouts.

The two of them fall silent again, Rory not prepared for Bellamy's admission. He looks away first, turning his back on her and walking away. Rory shakes her head and follows after him, grabbing hold of his arm and turning him to face her.

"You wouldn't and you couldn't." She tells him.

"You don't know that! You don't know what was going through my mind. All I was thinking about was killing Murphy."

"I know you better than I know myself, Bellamy. Look, I know you don't trust me anymore and I know I need to earn that back but I still trust you. Nothing's changed for me and it never will. I always have and always will trust you." She softly tells him. "I'm sorry that I scared you, danger didn't even cross my mind because it was you. You'd never do anything to hurt me. This past year has been a lot and, we've both changed because of it. I get that. I don't like it but I understand it. You spent a year thinking I'd sold you and your family out to my father and then pretended you didn't exist. I spent the whole year thinking you were dead because of what I'd done. It's going to take time to get back to where we were, to those two kids that snuck out after curfew to look down on Earth, and I'm just..." She trails off, taking a shuddering breath. "I'm scared that we don't have enough time to do that. I don't want to keep fighting and arguing with you, I'm just so tired. And I- I miss you. I miss us. From now on we have complete honesty, no more lies."

Bellamy nods his head in agreement and the two of them start as they mean to go on. Rory tells him everything that happened after they had both got arrested, relaying the story she told Octavia hours earlier. He explains what happened to him the past year, about what happened in the cells and when he saw her afterwards doing her rounds. Nothing was left unsaid. Lying was all they knew on the Ark, never being able to tell the truth to anyone but each other. The tables turned when they landed on Earth, the lies were whispered to each other rather than outsiders who would never understand. But, these lies that were once so foreign on their tongues stopped here.

This was the first step to them finding the versions of themselves they left behind on the Ark. This was the first step to them becoming Rory and Bellamy again. From this day forward, no lies pass between them except for one. One lie, whispered so softly by Rory into Bellamy's ear. A moment no one wanted to intrude upon. I'll be back soon, I'll make it. But, that's a story for another time.

"Did you mean what you said in there? That if the time comes, you'd leave with him?" Bellamy quietly asks, once they've finished talking about their last year on the Ark.