Chapter 23: Return Of The Trash King

Time passes quickly, although for Rory it feels achingly slow

Time passes quickly, although for Rory it feels achingly slow. A couple of hours after they saw the ship crash, Rory finally has the strength to stand up. Bellamy whispers a few things to her but his words don't register in her mind, the only thing present is the knowledge that Marcus Kane is dead and the image of the ship crashing playing on a loop.

The two of them slowly make their way to the gates of camp and Bellamy calls out to one of the gunners stationed on the wall to open them up. As the gates creep open Rory wipes her eyes, trying to hide any traces of the tears she had been crying. She takes a deep breath and straightens her back, preparing herself to walk through the camp with the watching eyes of literally every other delinquent focused on her intently. Bellamy hears her and looks over at her. He tells her that he's not going anywhere, that he'll be by her side the entire time, and that they can go straight to his tent without speaking to anyone if that's what she wants. So, that's what they do.

The gates open and the two of them walk into camp. Everyone's eyes are on them, but Rory keeps her head held high and doesn't falter under their stares. She keeps her eyes locked onto Bellamy's tent and they quickly reach it. Bellamy pulls back the entrance to the tent and gestures for her to go in. Just as he's about to follow her, he feels the presence of a handful of people behind him. Octavia, Jasper, Monty, Miller and Zoe are all staring at him expectantly. Octavia goes to say something but he stops her, telling them all that Rory's going to stay the night with him and to not bother them under anything but life-threatening circumstances. He tells them that she's not ready to talk to anyone yet, that maybe in the morning she'll be feeling up to it but not right now, right now she needs some time alone to deal with what's happened. The small group all nod their heads and quietly shuffle away without any protests allowing him to duck into his tent and check on Rory.

When he enters, he sees Rory perched on the edge of his bed staring into space. She snaps back to reality when she hears him come in and looks over at him, sending him a sad smile that breaks his heart.

"I don't know about you but I'm about to collapse from lack of sleep. Next time you drag me to a peace-talk with a bunch of people that want to fight a war against us, don't take me to a party the night before and make me pull an all-nighter that leaves me without sleep for two days." He tells her, trying to amuse her and take her mind off things. She lets out the tiniest of laughs and smiles up at him. "Lets go to bed. It'll do us both some good."

Rory nods her head in agreement and pushes herself up from the bed. The two of them quickly get changed, removing their shoes and various layers of clothing. Bellamy hands her one of his recently washed, spare T-shirts for her to wear instead of the one she'd been in all day and turns around to give her some privacy to change. After a couple of minutes, when he hears the sound of her removing the remaining knives still on her and then the sound of the zipper on her trousers, he turns back around and starts to remove his own shirt and trousers. He holds out his hand for Rory to place her clothes in and she does so, climbing into bed and pulling the blankets over her whilst he folds their clothes and places them on the makeshift table.