Chapter 13: Flashback When You Met Me

Flashback when you met me, your buzz cut and my hair bleached. Even in my worst times you saw the truth in me.

April 9th 2131

Screams of pain erupt from a small room at the end of the medical bay

Screams of pain erupt from a small room at the end of the medical bay. Vera Kane nervously paces back and forth outside the room whilst Jake Griffin, Thelonious Jaha and his wife Imelda sit restlessly in the chairs, all flinching at each scream. Waiting outside the medical bay are guards, lots of them. After all, it was the Queen in there.

"You can do this Gen, it's almost over." Marcus Kane says, clutching onto his best friend's hand.

"I swear to god Marcus I will murder you in a minute if you don't shut the hell up." Genevieve screams back at him, tightening her grip on his hand.

"Hey hey hey, watch your language. There will be some little ears around soon that will be able to hear. If we aren't careful she'll come out swearing like a sailor just like her mom."

Despite the searing pain coursing through her body, Gen can't help but smile at Marcus and let out a small laugh. The smile is only fleeting as it is quickly replaced by a grimace and a loud scream forces it's way out of her mouth.

"I can see baby's head, Gen. You're doing so well." Abby says, looking up at her friend. "I think she'll be out in the next few pushes."

"Remember what my mom said. Deep breath in, control your breathing and then push as hard as you can." Marcus says, trying to keep calm and help Genevieve through this even though he was scared to death. "Please don't break my hand though."

Abby looks back down and holds the baby's head in her hands. Keeping her focus on the baby she calls out. "This is it Gen, almost over now. One more push. One more."

Genevieve takes a deep breath and with all the strength she has left, she pushes. Seconds after she does this, the ward is filled with the cries of a newborn baby. Everyone hears it, in years to come Abby will swear that particular baby was the loudest she had ever heard. She came into the world screaming, making everyone aware that she had arrived, and she certainly never quietened down as she grew up. Vera can't help the happy tears that flood her eyes, the pride she feels swelling insurmountably. Her best friend, Marie Taylor, would have been so proud of her little girl. Thelonious wraps his arm around his wife and lets out a relieved sigh, the two of them knowing just how hard it would have been for Genevieve from personal experience. Both Theo and Imelda look down at their own son, Wells, still fast asleep despite the noise. Jake let's out a sigh of relief, rocking his own little girl, only months old, in his arms.

Abby walks back over to the bed, the baby cleaned and wrapped up in a blanket. "Congratulations. Here's your baby girl." Abby says, a huge smile on her face as she hands Genevieve the baby. "Whats her name?"

Genevieve takes her baby in her arms and cradles her close to her chest. Marcus reaches up and wipes the tears from his eyes as he watches his best friend. "Aurora." Genevieve whispers, tears forming in her own eyes. "Aurora Taylor Montgomery."