Prologue

97 years ago a nuclear apocalypse happened and destroyed all life on Earth leaving just the radiation behind. There were survivors. 12 nations had operational space stations when everything went wrong, there was a 13th too but we don't talk about that. Now, we only have The Ark which was formed when the stations all united as one. One station with the same one goal: return mankind to Earth.

The Ark is the only home I've ever known, and it isn't a particularly welcoming one. Now, Earth, that's the dream. The dream all on the Ark have but I'm guessing some of us (the ones that have never been welcome here) more than others. Too bad we will never get down there. We've been told, repeatedly, that if we are going to have any chance of surviving Earth we will have to wait another 100 years. That's another 4 generations of people floating around in this giant tin can in space.

My father, he's the so called King of the Ark. My family are the last remaining remnants of the English monarchy, not that this has helped me in any way shape or form during my short life. You see, here on the Ark every single crime is punishable by death, no matter how small, with the only exception being if you are under 18. If that's the case you get locked up in the Sky Box until the day of your 18th birthday where the council reviews your case and decides whether or not to float you. Most times they end up pushing the button. My father, along with the Chancellor and the other council members locked me up here a few years ago. My own father. Not really that surprising when you get to know him.

I've been in solitary confinement ever since I arrived. I have to leave once every three months to show my face around the Ark, apparently it's to stop the people getting suspicious. It was just the other day I had to do this so why is the door to my cell opening?