5. Life Happens

My palms were sweating and yet I could feel my heart beating, I am taking my scholarship exams today, and even with the limited time I had I managed to study.

This is the last process towards my scholarship to the university. Am so nervous and I don't think I can do this, of course, "I can do this". I silently assure myself. I just have to make it there on time, Mr Wilson already handled everything, all I have to do is pass the exam, that is my only chance to go to college.

I wake up earlier than I normally do, so I can complete my chores on time. I managed to escape through the back door without getting caught, it was a Saturday morning, Ethan was in the gym with his friends upstairs, and Ella doing God knows what, my stepmom was still asleep, she got up late on Saturday so she can have enough energy to scream the house down.

Everything is working in my favour today, I smiled walking along the busy street, men and women walking around, cats and dogs as well I stopped at my favourite diner, and got myself a meal with the little money I had saved up for my trip today, with the money I could only afford a meal and my bus fare to and fro, Lisa the waiter is a middle age woman, she is very nice to me and sometimes give me free meals, she took my order with a big smile, I got my meal three minutes after safely wrap up cause I didn't have enough time to eat, I have to catch the early morning bus because it was a long trip I had to get there on time, I got out of the dinner and boarded a bus that was going downtown.

I took a seat beside the window, and a few minutes later an old lady occupied the seat next to me. She offered a smile and I greeted her in reply, we engaged in a conversation for a while before she fell asleep. I couldn't fall asleep as I excitedly looked at the passing buildings, I didn't get out much due to my non-existent social life, I had never been in this part of town. About an hour later, my tummy rumbled, I had not eaten all morning, I was used to staying longer hours without eating. So times days, but I just have to survive.

The venue for the scholarship Examination was further downtown, it was faster by train but I couldn't afford to pay for my ticket, I knew I was going to arrive late, so I tend to have a little system on how I eat meals. Since I can only afford one meal in a day, I normally eat at night, but I decided differently today I chose to eat by noon to avoid feeling hungry during the exam. I will be distracted and unable to write.

I got to the venue and wrote the exam, I saw a lot of unfamiliar faces it was a state exam so a lot of students from different distinct were here. It was a 2-hour exam, I finished writing in no time so I could quickly hurry back home, I didn't want to miss my bus and it was a long ride back home, fortunately I missed my bus so I had to catch the next one.

It was a cold night, I didn't have a good jacket but I was able to survive, I got home late at night and got punished for it, dinner was not ready on time. I had to carry a bruise on my face for a week as my punishment.

" Cassie you have to stop spacing out, you can get seriously hurt" I signed as her voice brightened me back to reality, I brought out my notepad and closed the door of my locker.

" Glo, you worry too much and I am not always spacing out" She tugged my arms pulling me out of the way, she gave me a look that said "See"

"I am worried about you Cassie if you have a problem talk to me I can help out, you are always spacing out of conversation and you showed up to school with a massive bruise on your face" I could see the sadness in her eyes, i just couldn't tell her the truth. Telling her the truth will make her worry more. It's my problem not hers.

"I told you I fell down the stairs, it's a week already the bruise is almost gone " I assured her, as I pulled her towards the direction of our next class. The school is a lot more festive than usual, it is two days to the night of the big finale of the high school football tournament. So everyone was pretty much excited about the game.

"I don't seriously get what the fuss is all about it's just a game" Gloria frowned at the school mascot Buggie who was dancing in the hall as they excitedly cheered.

Sorry, everyone except Gloria, "Me too, it's just a game" I added "Exactly" she smiled.

Another week passed and I hadn't gotten any feedback, Mr Wilson assured me that I had nothing to worry about and that I had a good chance of getting the scholarship.

We got to the class and sat down, there were a few other people as well. We chatted for a when I saw Adam approaching he made a signal to keep my mouth shut, he slowly walked towards Gloria careful not to get caught, I absentmindedly chatted with her, as he was about to

"Adam don't even think about it" She smiled, and he sat down in the empty chair close to her and groaned "What gave me away?" He whines. I laughed at his pouting face.
"Two things love, your Cologne and Cassie's expression " she laughed, 'Thank a lot Cassie " he pouted folding his arms like a baby.

"I am glad I could help " I laughed, He rolled his eyes in reply as the last warning bell rang and students began to fill the classroom

"How are my two favourite ladies doing" he grinned, "fine "
"Great" we answered in unison. "How are you feeling now?", I asked,
" I feel much better sweetie no need to panic" I frowned at him, poking his nose.

"I told you several times not to call me sweetie,"

"I know baby," He laughs

"And baby as well"

Miss Jane walked into the classroom, the class became quiet, and she wrote the lessons for the day on the board.

"I hope you all did my weekend assignment?" she asked as the whole class groaned in reply.

____________________

Don't forget to vote and comment on your thoughts