Chapter 16 - Festivities

Ruyi met Enlai at the palace gates. It was a beautiful spring day, and they decided to visit the town together to purchase things for the feast that would be held that night. The palace was buzzing with growing excitement, maids giggling in the garden, soldiers excited about their half-day off. All throughout the palace, gold and red decorations hung brightly. It was the Emperor's birthday.

Even in the town, the villagers' spirits were bright. Ruyi took in the cheery sounds of her surroundings, the constant chatter, moving carts, pots and pans clashing, bells ringing. With Enlai beside her, it was the perfect day.

"It's strange, you know," Ruyi said, linking her arm in her brother's. Enlai smiled brightly at her. "What is?"

"Having our own money to spend." She shook her small cloth bag and grinned at the weight of the coins it carried. She had never been paid before. When Bolin had handed her her first payment, she was over the moon.

Enlai laughed and pulled her forward through the crowds of people. "I know what you mean."

After picking up new parchment for them to write to their father, and sweet desserts to bring back for her friends at the palace, she dragged Enlai into a tailor's shop.

"No eating!" The shopkeeper scolded, glaring hard at them. Enlai and Ruyi sheepishly stuffed the remainder of their pork buns into their mouths before entering the shop.

"Why can't I just wear my uniform?" Enlai groaned.

"Come on," Ruyi tugged him along, "You'll regret wearing that uniform when you arrive at the celebration and stick out."

"I'm here to pick up the clothes I ordered," Ruyi said to the shopkeeper, handing him a piece of paper with her previous order. The shopkeeper eventually walked out with a lovely green hanfu dress for Ruyi and blue robes for Enlai.

"Ruyi you -"

"It's my gift to you," she said, holding the robes out to him with a smile. "Try it on."

"Thank you," he said, grasping her hand gently, before heading behind the screens.

When she emerged dressed in her new clothes, she couldn't help but admire the beautiful gown in the mirror. The delicate fabric was soft on her skin and matched the spring weather perfectly.

She found both Enlai and the shopkeeper staring at her unabashedly, causing her to laugh.

"How do I look?" She asked, twirling for good measure.

"You look beautiful, jie jie. I think the General will love it," Enlai said cheekily.

Ruyi swatted his arm, "Enlai!"

Enlai's laughter eventually died down, and he looked at his sister seriously.

"I know he broke your trust, jie. But he really was sorry. When he discovered the truth, he oversaw and ensured your recovery, and he made sure Seiren was punished."

Ruyi didn't respond, but touched the jade pendant she hung around her neck. His gift.

"Come on, let's head back. The festivities will be starting soon."