Chapter 32 - Home

Ruyi looked outside her window. Powdery pink blossoms sprouted from the trees in the garden outside their house. The first bloom of spring. The air was fresh, softly perfumed by the wild garden she planted outside. While they still lived in the palace, she insisted that she have a garden of her own. 

She spotted Delun walking back home. He must have finished training. It had been over a year since the alliance was formed, and his role had become even more important as he liaised often with the generals of the Qing army. Once they had been his enemies, but now he saw them as his comrades. 

Ruyi watched him as he tilted his face towards the sky, basking in the warmth of the sun. She admired him from afar, just for a moment, taking him in, before she rushed out the door to meet him. 

"Delun!" She called, running towards him. He opened his eyes and his face broke into a brilliant smile. His arms spread wide. He caught her, laughing at the force at which she leaped at him. Her legs curled around his waist as he held her up. 

"Hello, darling," he said, kissing her neck, her cheeks, then her lips. 

"I've got news," she said, laughing happily as he carried her back into their home. 

He looked down at her expectantly, in awe of her, her glowing complexion, her bright eyes. 

"I'm pregnant!" 

Delun almost dropped her he was so surprised. After recovering, he held her tighter. 

"What?" He was worried he misheard her. 

"You're going to be a father," she said, kissing him. Delun looked at his wife, almost reverently. He was smiling so much his mouth started hurting. 

"I love you," he said. 

Ruyi couldn't believe how happy she was. She tried to take it all in, tried to bottle the moment up so she would never forget. Despite all the hurt and loss of the past, she could forget about it all when she was in his arms. She was finally home.