Chapter 9 - Protector

When Ruyi left the throne room and entered the palace garden, she found herself abruptly pushed back against the wall. She froze in shock and almost screamed, before she realised it was the General who had stopped her.

"General, what are you—," she paused at the dark edge in his eyes, swirling with what she somehow understood as concern.

"I don't know what the Emperor is thinking," he said, angrily, and Ruyi was shocked to hear him speak against the Emperor. She knew they were close comrades, friends, even, as she had often witnessed them joking together after battle trainings inside the palace.

"How could he send you to the front line? It's not safe, especially for you." While Ruyi did share his worry, she felt a spike of anger as well.

"The Emperor knows that I'm the best person to be at the front line. I'm good at my job. Even if I am a woman."

General Lang sighed and softened his expression. "That's not what I meant. I'm sorry. I'm just...I just don't what you to get hurt."

Ruyi felt her heart race at his words. She had had few encounters with the man, but was mostly intimidated by him. She was often distracted from her day-to-day tasks whenever she caught the men training, the General leading. And without a doubt, he was impressive to witness in combat. But not only that, she was touched by his loyalty to his men in battle, and the way he checked on Enlai after they returned.

But more than anything, she was confused by his concern for her. Could he somehow feel something for her? Surely not, she shook herself. It was just simply a man's concern for his colleague. And yet, she was unable to stop herself from asking, "Why? Why do you care so much?"

The General was silent for a moment before he finally said, "I don't know."

But he picked up her hand gently and opened up her hand so that her palm faced the sky. Then he placed something cold within the cove of her palm, and closed her fingers around it.

"To keep you safe. A reminder that I'll always be there to protect you."

With one last glance, the stoic General left Ruyi by the wall in the palace garden, blushing furiously and awestruck.