Chapter 24 - Tomorrow Always Comes

The day they returned to the palace, the atmosphere was solemn. The trees had started to whither, autumn slowly merging into winter. Petals and browning leaves carpeted the ground and blew gently in the wind. There was no singing, no dancing, just the ghostly sound of the breeze, an elegiac hum. There was no celebration, just mourning for the dead. 

They had held off the Qing army. But for how long? And at what cost? 

When Ruyi entered the apothecary that morning, Bolin was quiet. He seemed to be in his own mind, busying himself with tasks. He barely noticed her when she dropped off freshly collected herbs and plants. Ang, too, was visibly shaken by the entire event. He was easily startled, shaken by sudden and loud noises. When Bolin accidentally dropped his pestle into his mortar a little too loudly, Ang yelped, covering his ears. 

"Hey, it's okay. You're safe now," Ruyi said, gently pulling his hands down and rubbing his shoulders. Ang mumbled that he was fine and skittered away. She shot Bolin a worried look. His eyebrows furrowed in concern. They would need to keep an eye on Ang. 

It was the moments where she was left alone that Ruyi found most difficult. As she walked through the palace gardens, past the pond, the stabbing pain in her chest returned. It was so overwhelming that sometimes she had to stop walking and take a breath. Why did you have to break your promise, Enlai? Why did you leave me?

She was gasping for air and holding back tears when Delun eventually found her. 

"Ruyi? Are you alright?" He had just finished a strategic meeting with the Emperor and planned on taking tea in his room.

He pulled her into his chest, curling his arms around her. She slowly slid her arms around his waist, fingers curling into his robes, fisting the material tightly. 

"It hurts," she cried. "It hurts so much." 

"I know," he said gently, cupping her head in his hand, stroking her hair. "It gets better," he said, "I promise." 

"I'm going to visit my father," Ruyi said, voice fragile. She looked up at him, lashes wet with tears. 

"Would you like me to come with you?" Delun asked, stroking her cheek. 

Ruyi's eyes widened. "You would do that?" 

"Of course."

Her village looked the same as it always had been. Her old home, the road leading to the pond, nothing had changed. The villagers cleared the lane for their imperial carriage, rarely seeing such a luxury item. Ruyi peered through the curtain as they passed the book shop, her favourite noodle house, the meat shop. It was all familiar to her but felt years away. She was different now. 

When her father opened the door to them, he took one look at them and knew his son was lost. The heartbroken wail of her father shook Ruyi to her core, shattered her. He broke down immediately, collapsing into her arms, and they cried together. 

"I'm sorry, ba ba, I couldn't protect him," she cried, the guilt eating away at her. 

"Don't be silly, child. It's not your fault. Enlai wouldn't want to see us like this."

Her father brought his rough fingers to Ruyi's face, and stroked gently. "I'm glad you're home, Ruyi. I'm glad you're safe."

His eyes lifted to find Delun, who was standing back. 

"And you must be the General." 

"Yes, sir," Delun bowed deeply. "Enlai was one of my men. He fought courageously." 

Ruyi's father nodded, and gripped Ruyi's hands, pulling her up. 

They buried Enlai by the fields outside their family home, close to the pond where they fed the fish. It was beautiful, an open grass plain growing wildflowers and smelling of sweet fruits and autumn leaves. Enlai's friends and their neighbours came to pay their respects. They prayed at his grave and told stories.

"I never said thank you," Ruyi said, without looking at Delun. Her eyes were focused on the wooden headstone where Enlai's name was carved. 

"For what?" Delun asked. 

"For bringing his body back. For making sure he came back to me." 

Delun intertwined their fingers. She squeezed his hand back.

*  *  *

Ruyi planned to stay for several more days, but when they returned to her home, Yuan was waiting nervously, pacing by their front door. He was pale and jittery, nothing like the relaxed boy she knew. 

"Yuan, what is it? What are you doing here?" Ruyi asked, running up the stairs to meet him, Delun right behind her.

"General, it's urgent. The Emperor is requesting that you return immediately. You too, Ruyi."

"What? What happened?" 

Yuan looked terrified. His eyes darted between the two of them.

"It's the Princess. She's been taken." 

This time, when Ruyi returned to the palace, the solemnity was replaced with agitation and fear.  The Emperor was in a rage. In the great hall, he was barking orders at generals and officials. Everyone looked terrified. The maids were scared silent when Ruyi asked what had happened. 

It was Minmin who filled her in. 

"She was taken from her quarters. Qing soldiers took her. By the time our soldiers arrived at her room, it was too late." 

"I don't understand, why would they take her?" 

Minmin shook her head. "Rumours are that the Emperor wants her as his wife." 

"His wife! But he's so old!" 

Minmin shrugged, "Not like that's stopped any man before."

Delun was immediately taken to the Emperor to discuss a plan to get the Princess back. When he returned to Ruyi, his eyes were hard, lips pursed into a tight line. 

"It's no longer safe within the palace. I want you to move into the room next to mine."