Chapter 18 - Training

"Hurry! Pour that in!" Bolin said as he stirred the steaming pot hastily. Ruyi quickly dropped the petals into the mixture before taking over the stirring. 

"Good, that's looking good now. Once all the petals have dissolved, pour the liquid into this bottle. It'll be ready once it's cooled and set. Should only take a couple of hours." 

Ruyi nodded, peering into the pot on bubbling white liquid. "What is it for?" She asked. 

"It's a very potent disinfectant. We'll need lots of it on the battlefield. I've already made a dozen batches, but we'll need to make plenty more." 

Ruyi wrote down notes onto a piece of parchment and tucked it into her sleeve. She'd add it to her records in her room and revise the notes later that evening. 

Lately, the medics were particularly antsy. The apothecary was constantly in use, smelling of strange incense and steam coming out of all corners. There was nervous anticipation for a battle all throughout the palace, with whispers of strategists discussing plans against the Qing army's attack. 

"Also, I need you to bring this to the General," Bolin handed Ruyi a small box wrapped in old parchment.

"You can go now, I think his division's training is just about to end."

Ruyi took the shortcut to the training grounds, at the east edge of the palace. It was large enough for the soldiers to run drills and train on horses. Oftentimes, Ruyi would catch maids peeking at the soldiers and gossiping about who was the most handsome or the most impressive. 

Today was no different. 

"Ruyi, over here!" Minmin called out, waving at her from behind a large tree trunk. "Who's caught your eye today?" Ruyi teased, walking towards her. 

Minmin blushed. Only sixteen, her parents had sold their daughter to the palace as a desperate attempt to settle their debts. Ruyi still remembered when Minmin was a teary-eyed, underfed girl. She had treated the nasty cuts on her knees from her difficult journey to the palace. From then, they had become fast friends. 

"Oh, Prince Jin has always been the most handsome to me," she gushed, staring into the training grounds. Ruyi watched with her. Many of the high-ranking officials were on horseback, racing across the field holding heavy weapons and yelling orders. 

She easily found Delun. He was always commanding her attention, sitting tall on his black stallion. He rode gracefully across the grounds. It was breathtaking to watch. 

"And who are you watching?" Minmin rose her eyebrows at her. "Oh, no one," Ruyi said, ignoring the suspicious look on Minmin's face. "I have to make a delivery for Bolin," she said, getting up from behind the tree. "Come on, better get back to work," she said. 

When she approached the generals' tent, she felt the eyes of the soldiers searing into her back. She kept her eyes trained on the tent, hand clenched around the box. 

"Ruyi, what brings you here," Prince Jin asked. He was standing outside the tent cleaning his sword. 

"Your highness," Ruyi bowed. "I have a delivery for General Lang." Realising how it sounded, she hastily added, "From Doctor Bolin." 

"Oh, well he's just riding in now," he gestured forward just as Delun's stallion slowed its gallop to a graceful trot just in front of them.

"Ruyi, what's wrong?" Delun immediately asked, jumping off his horse and handing the reigns to a young soldier. 

Sweat trickled down the side of his temple, and he looked enormous in his armour. He was more handsome than ever. 

"Doctor Bolin wanted me to bring this to you," she said, handing him the small box. 

His eyes flickered in recognition before he took the box. "I see, thank you," he said, looking into her eyes with a warm smile.

Blushing, Ruyi mumbled a farewell and turned to walk back to the apothecary. 

"Not so fast," she heard him say. She halted and slowly turned back around. 

"General?" 

"I like your hair today," he said, causing her blush to redden even more. Beside him, Prince Jin chuckled underneath his breath. 

She forced herself to look at him and felt her heart tighten at the genuine smile on his face. 

"Thank you," she said, before fleeing back towards the medical wing.