Chapter 20 - The Night Before

"Do you remember when we used to feed the fish in the pond outside our house?" Enlai asked.

Ruyi nodded, staring into the shimmering water just under her feet, the moonlight casting diamonds, reflecting off golden scales.

"I remember," she said. Enlai sat down next to her, dangling his feet over the edge of the wooden bridge. It was a secluded spot in the palace, part of a garden that belonged to no prince or princess. It had become their favourite place, as it reminded them of home.

"Father must miss us terribly," Ruyi said, leaning her head on her brother's shoulder. If she shut her eyes, she could almost imagine that they were back home, by the pond. Their father would be a shout away, in the house brewing herbal medicines. She could forget that tomorrow, terrible things would happen. She could pretend that they were safe.

"Are you afraid?" Enlai asked. When had his shoulders gotten bigger, his voice rougher? Had all these things happened at the palace?

Instead of answering the question, Ruyi asked, "Are you?"

"I'm afraid of my friends getting hurt. I'm afraid of you getting caught in the crossfire," he said.

"This whole war seems pointless," Ruyi said, unable to hide the anger in her voice. "Why won't the Qing Emperor stop? When will it be enough for him? How many men have to die for him?"

Enlai sighed. Neither of them had the answer.

"I hope it will be sometime soon."