34: Weakness

"Who's your suspects? "

"It's either the Marques or Koval, madam. "

"Javier, you investigate the matter. And you Abberline, let's talk later. "

"Yes, ma'am. "

I slowly opened my eyes and even with my blurry vision, I saw both Javi and Trift lowering their right knee on the floor with their right hands on their chest.

I watched them as they silently leave the room.

"W-water... I need- " parang hinahati ang lalamunan ko sa sobrang sakit.

I saw my mother immediately run towards me and our maid rushing to get me some water.

"Thank goodness, you're awake! " mama enveloped me with a tight hug and for a moment, I almost forgot how our last conversation ended.

We fought. I told her some words that I knew that might hurt her. I almost disclaim that she's my mother yet, she's still here...

"Drink this. You need to regain your energy. You're the only hope of the mafia. " she said and I snapped.

Just when I thought that she's here because she genuinely care for me, she just slapped me with the fact that after all this time, all she cares about is the mafia.

----

"Hey, what's wrong? " tanong ko nang wala sa sariling umiinom ng kape si Javi at Trift kahit wala nang laman ang mga tasa nila.

They both snapped back and Trift straightened the imaginary creased on his tailcoat — the same goes for Javi and the imaginary creased on his uniform.

"We failed... " tila wala sa sariling sambit ni Javi.

They really have the same blood. Kahit sa reaksyon ng kanilang mukha ay magkatulad din.

"It wasn't your fault. Buhay pa rin naman ako. "

"But that doesn't changed the fact that you're injured and in coma for almost a week. " parang pinagbagsakan ng langit at impyerno ang mukha ni Trift.

Kahit hindi nila sabihin sakin, alam kong sila ang sinisisi ni mama dahil sa nangyari. But I knew they did their best. They saved me and I'm alive, that's all that matter.

"Hindi na yun mangyayari. I'll be careful next time. " I smiled. Pero parehas lang silang sumimangot.

"It happened once and it will happen again. At kung mangyari man ulit yun, hindi ko na alam kung paano kokontrolin ang sarili ko. " Trift said.

His eyes were almost teary.

I reach for his hand on the table and hold them tight. Nakita ko ang gulat sa mga mata nya dahil sa ginawa ko.

"If you're too afraid of losing me, then teach me how to defend myself. "

"But- " mas hinigpitan ko ang hawak sa mga kamay nya.

"I'll defend myself until you come and save my ass, so the same incident won't happened again. " I smiled.

He sigh in defeat. "I won't ever forgive myself if something happens to you... " his voice was so soft that it almost sounds like a whisper.

"I know, that's why I wanted you to train me so I could still survive. "

He pull his right hand and combed his hair with his fingers. Frustration was all over his face.

Nang bumaling sya sakin ay mabilis syang napalunok.

And when his hand reach for my cheeks and gently pull my face closer to him, I knew I won the argument.