10. Silhouette Against the Dimming Sky

Marvel and Gilbert walked to the mansion gate after they got down from the car that had brought them home. They were just back after a week of an overseas business trip. It was a success, but unlike Gilbert who looked satisfied with the achievement, Marvel was seen as rather unimpressed. Sighing deeply, he tilted his neck to left and right, looking tired and bored more than usual.

"Gill, don't let anyone disturb me," Marvel yawned while telling. "I'm going to sleep until tomorro-"

He trimmed his words as he spotted a figure he recognized by the window of his office room, rearranging the books on the shelf. Not only his lips had stopped moving, but his steps also halted as he locked his gaze straight to the second floor of his manor.

"Okay, Boss. I will make sure nobody is bothering you," Gilbert turned around and looked at Marvel as he replied. "Do you need anything else?"

The sound of a classic water fountain in the middle of the mansion's front yard took over the silence between Gilbert and Marvel. While waiting for the answer to his question, Gilbert saw Marvel suppress a smirk the moment he found a pair of glimmering steel-blue eyes under the light grey hair. He wasn't sure of the reason, but he was more puzzled by the fact that Marvel suddenly had a better mood. What a rare sight.

Despite knowing Marvel for a long time, Gilbert had no idea what was going on inside Marvel's head. There was a time when he looked totally interested in something, immersed even, but when he wasn't into it, he wouldn't take a glimpse, like it wasn't even there. Something like that could be a good sign since he wouldn't easily be distracted, but it also meant he couldn't easily be diverted either, unless by his own will.

"Boss?" Gilbert checked if Marvel was still there, as he could tell Marvel's mind clearly wasn't.

Upon the pavement came the playful sounds of dancing drops, rhythmically dripping as if their purpose was to bring a sense of calm to the dusk. As it began to soak each surface of Marvel's clothing, deepening the shade of black to a stronger hue to become a kind of natural glossy shine on its fabric, the conversation continued.

"No," Marvel answered in the end, returning Gilbert's curious gaze with a flicker. "I think I know what I need."

***

As the night arrived, the rain became more intense. It fell like a million fragments in a chorus together, resonating with my serenity.

After a long trial Gilbert had arranged for me, I finally could clear myself from any suspicion and prove I qualified to work here. During that period, I always thought I had to throw away every possibility of failure, so it was a good starting point as I got what I wanted.

My current job was to make sure Marvel's workplace was neat and clean, while maintaining good conditions for his busy schedules. It was pretty much like a secretary job that I had done before, except for the fact that I was serving a Mafia crime boss now. Knowing that, it couldn't be helped if I had to start from the bottom, no matter who I was and what I did before. I had to prove to them my quality to work and my sincerity to serve the higher-ups with absolute faithfulness.

This whole thing was new for me. I had always thought it was easier to investigate the Mafia through their business partners or connections; that way I could understand how they were working, because mobsters tended to be secretive as they had made an oath to stay silent about their existence. Moreover, each of them was irrationally loyal to the boss it could be such a pain.

So, not wasting the chance, I silently explored Marvel's office as I had gotten permission to enter. I had checked all sides and yet, I found no valuable documents I could investigate. I assumed the files must be on his computer, or else...

It would have been harder for me if Marvel kept the important stuff in his private space, because even though I knew where to go and find it, I couldn't just walk in as if strolling in the park on a fine day. I had to make a plan, prepare every single thing, and mark each detail. Knowing my strategy would certainly work was paramount too, but I needed to create an alternative method to overcome another possibility.

I once again scanned the room, but was still unable to find any safe box in a place as splendor as this; kind of odd considering how the manor stood. The way Gilbert was so alerted of my existence in Marvel's office, I thought everything must have been there, but now I knew I was wrong.

I placed my hand palm on the wall, lightly sliding over the smooth surface, carefully moving along the frames hanging on it to check if there was a tiny split followed by a push button or something.

"You passed the three months probation."

The voice startled me. I hurriedly pulled my hand away from the wall as I turned around, spotting a man by the opened door.

For a second my brain stuttered and I thought it fooled my eyes when I saw the man standing there was Marvel. In the realization that each second was the truth, my heartbeat escalated way quicker than I expected, and before long every part of me went on pause. I immediately told my system to calm down and work properly again, because if not, I wouldn't be able to deal with what might have happened.

When my thoughts had caught up finally, I forced my dry mouth to speak.

"Nothing brings more joy than your safe arrival, Sir."

I somehow managed to get some nice words with an unwavering voice and natural facial expression. Marvel returned my smile as he walked into the room while skimming his surroundings like he could tell the difference in a single glance. His hand slipped out of the pocket and his long and sturdy fingers slithered on the table, inspecting if there were fingerprints or dust before he flumped to a chair just behind it.

"You worked hard. Accustomed to your job already?" My boss asked a question as any other boss would.

"Gilbert is strict, but he is kind. He helped me a lot during the trial," I lied under my smile.

"Kind, huh?" Marvel mumbled, grinning silently for an unknown reason.

Perhaps, he knew I lied about Gilbert. It wasn't like the truth or lie mattered at this point, though. So, I decided to set it aside.

"I may have just started, but I'm looking forward to working under you, Sir," I smiled as I bowed down, trying to obtain Marvel's sympathy.

He whom I addressed as "Sir" was sitting on his chair, seeming satisfied with my performance. It was just the start, but I could feel I had taken a step forward into his territory.

Seeing his reaction and all, maybe the actual things aren't as difficult as I thought they were? Well, I don't know... I'm going to figure out a way to get closer to him.