He grabbed my chin harshly and ripped my head up, slamming his lips on mine. He tasted like stale beer and I tried my hardest not to pull away from him. He brought a hand up to my breast, harshly squeezing it and making me yelp from the pain. He smirked against my lips, liking the pain he caused.

I suppose I wasn't a complete bother to him. He loved using me to achieve his own pleasure.

When he pulled away, he stared down at me. The blue eyes that my seventeen-year-old self was once smitten by, my twenty-one-year-old self now saw the evil hidden behind them.

"I love you, Ansley," he said before giving my breast another quick squeeze.

I bit my lip, forcing down my cry of pain. "I love you, too, Michael." The words felt unwelcome in my mouth as I spoke them.

When he finally left for work, I felt as though I could breathe. Not entirely though. I could never breathe in that house. Not when everything in it was a reminder that he owned me.

When I left for work, I spent the entire day plagued with anxiety. I had lied to Michael earlier. I wasn't going to the grocery store to buy him steak, that was only my cover-up. I was going to buy a pregnancy test.

The last few weeks I'd felt horrible. I was nauseous and vomiting constantly. The smells of certain foods triggered me and I craved other ones. I missed my last period.

Michael didn't allow me to be on birth control and when I had asked him to start using condoms so I didn't get pregnant, he hurt me. I didn't ask again.

When I got to the grocery store, I walked down the aisles until I found what I was looking for. I grabbed the package and then walked to the frozen meat aisle. I paid for the pregnancy test separately, with my own money, so Michael wouldn't find out. He only ever gave me cards instead of cash to use so he could track my purchases.

When I got home, I rushed into the bathroom and took the test. While I waited for the results, I prayed that they came back negative.

I didn't want to raise a baby, not with Michael. I wouldn't allow a child to grow up with him. He was a cruel man who hurt me without remorse. I knew he would use the baby to hurt me even more, he would use them to control me. I didn't want to imagine what would happen if the baby were a girl.

I shook my head, not letting the terrible thoughts sink into my mind. I couldn't be pregnant. I couldn't be.

The timer I set on my phone went off and I stood from the edge of the tub onto shaky legs.

"Shit," I whispered as I stared at the two pink lines. Tears streamed down my face and I dropped to my knees. Sobs wracked my body and I slammed my fists to the floor.

I cried. I cried for myself and the unborn child I was carrying.

After a few minutes, I picked myself up from the floor and grabbed the tests. I washed them off and slid them back into the box before hiding them in the same place I hid my cash.

I decided then that I was leaving. I couldn't stay any longer and I would never going to allow a baby in his presence. I had to leave.

Present day

I drove all throughout the night until I had crossed three state lines. I only stopped once I'd grown too exhausted to continue driving anymore.