Ch 36 waiting

I lowered my eyes before Alpha. He had finally finished with the omega-man, and put him away with the two crying little omegas. I didn't know what to think when Alpha commanded us all to stand, and positioned himself before me. I clenched every muscle I had to keep from flinching when I saw his hand come up toward my head.

I shivered at his gentle stroke against my cheek. Again and again he stroked the side of my face while I looked at the floor by our feet. All I could think was how he beat the omega-man and then petted him. I tried to focus on my breathing to keep myself calm, not knowing when he would suddenly lash out at me.

"Alpha," Beta called gently, giving it a pause before he went on, "I want... I think it's time; like we talked about."

Alpha's hand stopped on my cheek. "They are not ready."

"No, they are not," Beta agreed, "but our good guard is. I will..."

"It is not safe," Alpha snarled, spinning toward Beta.

"Then make it safe," Beta commanded fiercely.

I barely dared breathe, unwilling to disrupt the tense tableau before us. They stood like two statues, neither giving into the other.

Slowly, Alpha let out his breath. "As our royal heir commands," he muttered, finally giving in.

"Do you have any other commands for our guards tonight?" Beta prompted.

There was another long pause before Alpha answered. "Commands? No, I... yes... Guards, you are dismissed for the night," Alpha said with a bit of his former intensity. He sounded like he was still a little confused to me.

We filed between Alpha and Beta silently. Somehow I wasn't surprised when we were left alone, with Beta's two guards staying close to Beta tonight. My mind kept swirling as we got ready for bed. An unstable Alpha, being held in check by a too-young Beta, with us caught between the two. We had to get Alpha to trust us, I thought, while not losing Beta's support. My brain felt like mush though, unable to come up with any coherent plan beyond what we needed to survive.

I blinked rapidly when Shawn shoved his face into mine. "I said, are you ok?"

It wasn't until then that I noticed Bobby squeezing my hand.

"Yeah," I said slowly, "I think so."

"What was that all about?" Toby asked from behind Shawn, grasping David's hand tightly.

They're scared, I thought as I looked at them gathered around me; confused and scared. I reassured them automatically. "It will be ok."

"No," Shawn interrupted, "it isn't, won't be. What are you ready for that we aren't?" he hissed. "Why haven't you told us what we have to do? How are we going to..."

"Stop," I said in exasperation, "I don't know. I won't know until Beta tells me. I'll let you guys know as soon as I can, ok? But right now, I don't have anything to tell you! I just don't know!"

They quieted down, looking at the floor. I realized it was the closest I'd ever come to yelling at them. They didn't need that from me. I reached out with my free hand and grabbed Shawn into a hug. "I don't know, and I'm scared too, ok? But it will be ok. It's something Beta wants, and whatever it is, he told Alpha to make sure it's safe; so we'll be ok, alright? We just have to trust Beta."