Ch 32 requests

After dinner, Alpha demanded I demonstrate some of the different exercises I had casually mentioned over the last few days. He seemed disappointed at how few push-ups I could do. Jumping-jacks, however... I didn't know how sore jumping jacks could make your arms. My stomach had cramps from the number of sit-ups he had me do after everyone else was sent to bed.  I trudged back to the dingy room behind Beta, holding my side. Better than kicks, I told myself.

I knew the reason for my special treatment. Even though I was only quietly making a few comments on and off in the morning, Alpha still saw them as a challenge to his authority. While my extremely subservient behavior toward him held his wrath at bay, it didn't squelch that wrath. Alpha's raged simmered, spiking every time I opened my mouth. Alpha had noticed the way the guys were turning their heads to me. He saw how they were almost eager when I led our exercises. He'd had Bobby lead everyone today, and Bobby kept glancing at me.

Knowing I didn't dare risk waiting any longer, I gathering my courage, calling out to Beta before we reached the door.

"May I speak to Beta, in private, please?"

Beta hesitated, but then motioned for his two guards to stay outside the door. He then motioned for me to follow him. Alpha had already gone into his room for the night. Last night Alpha and Beta had been together, and Beta's two guards had stayed with us. I wondered if Alpha had said anything to Beta about how the guys had been acting lately.

Beta took me to the bedroom without a door, motioning for me to enter first. Once I got to the middle of the empty room, I turned around and went to my knees, waiting on permission to speak.

Beta put his hands on me first, running them through my hair and along my neck. I waited patiently while he petted me, no longer resenting his touch. I stood when he pulled me up.

"What do you want to say, Guard?" he asked quietly.

I kept my head down, not wanting to risk irritating him. His quiet tone let me know to keep my own voice down so Alpha wouldn't hear. I had thought long and hard how best to word my dilemma."I would ask my future Alpha," I started, feeding his sense of authority, "if we, if us guards... have we been doing well?"

"Yes, of course. Alpha hasn't even found fault with anyone for the last two days. Why would you even wonder if all of you have been doing well?"

"I would ask our Beta to speak for us, to ask... if we might have earned the right to sleep on mattresses. The blankets have been great, we're very grateful, we are, please don't think we aren't, it's just, the floor is hard, and cold, and, and, mattresses would make it more like a home, our own place to sleep. It's just a request..."

I stopped at his hissing, indrawn breath. I lowered myself back down to my knees. There was silence for a long time.

"You still want to go back, don't you? You don't like it here. It isn't the good home I promised you."

I didn't answer right away.

"May I speak frankly with you, lord Beta, without fear of offending..."

I stopped when he slapped me. Once more his hands were on me. This time they didn't stop. He pushed me down to the floor. Fear filled me as Beta displayed a wrath similar to Alpha's. His fists rolled along my chest as he pushed down with his slight body weight. His elbows sunk into my belly, and I couldn't help but whimper.

My whimper made him pause. Even laying under him, I kept my head tucked, not daring to look at him. I didn't expect him get so upset. I was surprised when he grabbed my jaw, wrenching my head up. He shoved his face right into mine.

"My pack is gone, do you understand? Alpha..." Beta stopped, shaking his head. "I had to do something," he hissed. "I had to exert my authority as the royal heir. I'm supposed to have ten personal guards. I told Alpha I needed..." his faced twisted in anguish before getting fierce.