*Part 18*

Jughead
On Ronnie's way out I lock eyes with her for a split second before she disappears. "Excuse me for a second" I say to my date as I follow ronnie out.

"Hey, where are you going" I say softly
"Oh, jug I'm just catching an Uber" she says, clearly caught off guard
"No coffee date after my real date?" I ask
"I'm just a bit tired " she replies
"Well just wait here then I'm coming with you" I say as I'm about to run in to tell my date before Ronnie interrupts me.
"No, your actually hitting it off with this girl" she says causing me to chuckle slightly
"I'm not hitting it off with her" I say back
"Oh c'mon flirtatiously punching her arm" she says sighing
"I wasn't, if you had any idea what we were talking about then you would be thinking differently." I sigh out
"Why are you getting upset with me" she asks.
"Why are you getting upset with me?" I say turning the focus to her. She stands bewildered for a while before speaking.
"I'm not" She states and even if she is we both know she's not gonna say anything
"Fine" I say as I walk back inside the club.

———————————-

Veronica
Instead of going to my apartment I head over to central perk and as I reach inside I slam my purse down on the floor in frustration. The clenching feeling in my chest still hasn't faded and I almost feel like I can't breathe. I don't even know what I'm feeling. I'm not mad at Jug I'm just....I don't know. This is what I wanted. This should feel good so why does it feel like...this.

I slump down in a seat before reaching to my side and grabbing jugs book out of my purse splayed out on the floor. Now's a better time than ever to read it.

---------------------------------

" "Stay with me." As soon as I say that I wish the words never left my mouth. what if it comes out wrong or she thinks th-
"I'd love to jug" As she says the last word I feel a shiver run up my spine but I simply smile and grab her suitcase."

" "-I'm sorry for offending Veronica, but since when did you care so much about her"
"Since I started liking" her I practically yell
"What?" Betty says and realisation suddenly hits me on what I just said"

"After five minutes she sniffles and let's go of me even though I want to hold onto her forever. Her face is still sticky with tears but she's stopped crying. "Thankyou" She says even though thats ridiculous, it's no problem."

"Every now and then she smiles at me. Her smiles lights up the whole room and I remember exactly why I love her. Wait - what? I love her?"

'Then please stay, because I love you" I say again as if it will change anything. But it doesn't"

--------------------------------------

I can see my tears wet the last page of jugs book before I close the cover and wipe away the next few starting to trickle down my face. It feels like all the emotions I felt for Jug four years ago and all the feelings I've been trying to hide from ever since I left Riverdale are back. I finally lift up my eyes from the book only to see jug standing outside the glass doorway of the shop. Shock washes over me but I quickly gather myself and open the locked door for him.
"Jug" I say out of surprise as he walks in
"I wanted to talk but you weren't at your apartment the only other place I thought to look was here" he says as he stumbles through the door and past me. With his back turned to me I can see his body language change as he turns around to face me.
"You finished the book" he says softly and I nod along slowly.
Neither of us know what to say but jug finally breaks the silence. "Why were you upset when you thought I was hitting it off with that girl I went on a date with" he asks, taking me quite off guard.
"I don't know" I sigh out but he won't take that for an answer
"Yes you do" he says angrily but taking a gentler tone as he says "tell me"
"Look. Ugh. I still love you jug and as much as you have to move on it still hurts" I say through a sad chuckle
"Why do I have to move on?" he asks honestly
"Because I just ruin everything, that book is just more proof of that" I say as I point to the book behind him.
"That's because everything was imploding around us, with your engagement and everything else but its not anymore" he reasons
"I don't want to hurt you jug" I whisper out
"I love you ronnie" is all he says back as he steps towards me. A few tears slip down my cheek before he says "can I kiss you now."
I laugh quickly and nod as I wrap my arms around his neck and lean in.

————————————————
A/N
Sorry it's a short chapter.