*Part 12*

4 years later

Jughead
I breathe in the cool air around me. Winter in New York. Not as romantic as it seems. I chuckle slightly at this thought, wrapping my jacket tighter around me as I stroll into a coffee shop down the street to my apartment. The jingle of the bell as I walk in reminds me of pops but My smile slowly fades as I look at the long trail of people (mostly interns) waiting to order their coffee. I'm about to walk out, after all you can buy coffee anywhere, before I look at the logo on one of the coffee cups. "Central perk." Ronnie had mentioned this shop years ago. Said it served a mean hot chocolate.

————————————

As I throw away the last of my coffee I look up to a large looming building. It feels scarier being here in person. Four years of promising to never do this and here I am. I probably wouldn't even be here if Toni hadn't pushed me off the couch and made me do something with my life. But here I am. This is the big stuff. I make a mental note to get Toni a gift as I take my first step into my new job.

The lobby is empty except for a young preppy girl standing by the reception. She reminds me a lot of Betty and it's nice to have some familiarity in this big city. "Name" She says with a perky tone. "Uh forsythe" I say. Jughead isn't exactly a professional name. "That's a weird name" she continues giggling slightly. This causes me to tilt my head. Is she flirting with me? "Yeah" I say awkwardly. "I'm here for Peter" I add.
"Oh right your name must be in here somewhere. Ah here, just head up to the second floor on your left for the appointment." She says pointing her finger towards the elevators behind me. "See you around" she says as she winks at me but I just smile kindly and walk off and away from that conversation of sorts.

My hands are dripping with sweat by the time I reach the end of my elevator ride. Taking one last deep breath I slowly step out into the hallways buzzing with life. Surprisingly most of the workers here are my age or younger which is welcoming. "The door to the left" I think in an attempt to recall what the receptionist said. "This one" I say making a 90 degree turn in the right direction.
Knock
Knock
"Come in" a voice calls out
"Hi" I say, slowly creaking open the door to reveal a tall brown haired man, slightly younger than me, writing something on his laptop. At the sight of me he closes his laptop and clasps his hands together Over the top. How does he seem so together at such a young age. "Forsythe?" He asks questioningly. "Yes" i reply as I take the seat in front of him. "Well you are not the sophisticated diplomat I assumed you were."
"Yeah" I chuckle a long with him, "my names just old fashioned."
"Anyway let's talk about your book." He says

Veronica
First day back nerves. This place is like my family so I shouldn't be nervous but that almost makes me more scared for how they are gonna act around me now. Obviously my first move is to see Peter so as I walk through to the elevator, bag in hand, hot chocolate in other, I think about everything we are going to catch up on.

As I reach the correct floor I drop off my stuff in the office next to his. Finally I am about to open the door when an intern strolls up behind me. "Do you know where the kitchen is?" He asks. "Um yeah" I say slightly taken back by his sudden appearance. "It's just down the hall and to the right I say pointing accordingly before he walks off. I slowly turn around after his disappearance and barge  into the office.

"Surprise" I call out.

Jughead
"Surprise" I hear someone shout. I immediately turn around at the sound of the familiar voice an-

Holy shi-

Veronica
"Ronnie" Pete says standing up and rushing over to hug me. "I haven't seen you in ages. So good to have you back"
"And permanently" I add to which he just smiles at me sympathetically.
"I'm actually in the middle of something" he says as he steps back to reveal his client. And omg. It's jug. Everything around me shuts off as I stare at jug as he does the same with me. I can't quite tell if he's real. "So Veronica this is forsythe." Peter finishes. "Yep. Wow." Is all I manage to get out causing a slight smirk from jughead. "Well then I'll get going but let's catch up later" I say not knowing who I'm talking to. And at that i powerwalk out the door to safety. Again, wow.

Jughead
"So" I say as I turn around to face Peter who is now sitting in his chair again. "Veronica, she works here?" I ask casually. "Yeah she's another one of the publishers. She loves a good classic book like the rest of us." He comments.
"Huh" I say chuckling slightly at this predicament. "So are you and her.... you know." I say trying to hide my jealousy.
"Oh no" he replies, shaking his head as he talks.
"Idk seems like you love her" I say
"Oh I do" he replies
"Then why haven't you done anything about it?" I ask
"Cos she's not a he" he states and I laugh slightly.
"Anyway" He says "I wanna publish your book about riverdale. It's so raw almost as if it's all real."
"you have no idea" I say.

Veronica
As I step out of Peters office I feel like I can finally breathe again. I can feel my breath hitching slightly and I rush slowly into my office to my bag. "Calm down" I say to myself as my breathing quickens. Eventually I find my pills but with my shaky hand I manage to spill them everywhere. "God dammit" I say under my breath as I down one of the few pills left in the bottle. When I stop shaking I get onto the floor to pick up the remaining pills. After all this chaos I slip into my chair behind my desk. I throw what's left of my cold hot chocolate in the bin and finally open up my laptop to get some work done.

——————————————

By the time I'm done with work the sun is setting and I close behind my office door, locking it as I stroll to the elevator. "Not even gonna wait for me"
I hear peter call out behind me. "You'll have to hurry up then slow pokes" I say as I hear him run up to me. "You in the mood for some dinner." He asks. "Sorry but I've got a full course meal of microwave pasta waiting for me at home" I say to which he rolls his eyes. "I didn't see you today at lunch" he continues. "Yeah well I was working" I reply
"On the first day back"
"I've got a lot to catch up on" I say back
"Fair" He says as he walks into the elevator, me following close behind.
"That forsythe guy was asking about you" he says causing me to laugh nervously
"Hm that's weird" I say casually
"Yeah he was asking if you and I were a thing. I bet he likes you. I mean who wouldn't your a catch." He says which causes me to smile.
"Yeah well he's not my type" I say, joking along with him
"He seems exactly like your type. Maybe I should set you to up" he says as he laughs but we've reached the lobby now and I walk out the elevator alone. "Goodby Peter" I say and he laughs as the door closes on him and I walk out the office.

————————————-

As soon as I reach my apartment I slump down into my lounge chair. I contemplate sitting here forever but eventually sigh and move off to have a shower and change into pjs. Once I'm finally out of my disgusting work clothes I flip my phone to play 2000s classics and scream at the top of my lungs to party in the USA as I bake my pasta.

Jughead
After leaving Peters office I couldn't help but peak into Ronnie's office but she was just working. I then strolled home to my apartment. I still had half a day left so I decided to head home and watch a bunch of classics till now. The sun is setting and Im about to drift off to sleep whilst watching my favourite movie when I hear yelling from the apartment beside me. "Ugh" I sigh as I'm about to go knock on their door to shut up before I hear what they're screaming.

"So I put my hands up
They're playing my song,
And the butterflies fly away
Noddin' my head like, yeah
Movin' my hips like, yeah
I got my hands up,
They're playin' my song
You know I'm gonna be okay
Yeah, it's a party in the USA
Yeah it's a party in the USA" l hear the person sing. The joy in their voice brings a smile to my face and I sigh slightly as I slump back down. I'll just let them be. And with the song running through my head I fall asleep on my couch not knowing what's about to come.

———————————————-
A/N
Just watched five feet apart and I loved it. I stole a couple lines from the movie in case anyone noticed and also referenced friends the tv show.

Thanks for 100 votes I think. I'm not entirely sure of the number.

Also it's finally the holidays 🥳