Date

Mara narrowed her eyes thoughtfully as Hunter and Haven curled up on the couch together watching reruns of the Addams family as she chopped the carrots thinly with the kitchen knife. Karen was behind her watching the rice cook. She was humming to herself, a melody that Mara didn’t recognize.

  “Hey Karen, how long have Haven and Hunter known each other?” She asked glancing back to the fairy. Karen looked over to the boys and tilted her head.

  “Almost two years now, I think. Why?” Karen asked curiously.

  “Have they ever actually dated?” Mara asked, keeping her voice low so the boys didn’t over hear. Karen frowned thoughtfully and stared down at the rice.

  “I’m not sure. I don’t think so.” Karen shrugged, “But again, why?”

  “Because, because their all lovey-dovey but they’ve never gone on a date.” Mara said as she scrapped the carrots into the stew.

  “Well to be fair, Hunter was a wolf for the first year and then we’ve been running for our lives ever since word of the Sacrifice got around.” Karen explained and bit her lip, “Well there was that one time they went to the carnival but that was only to get away from the hunters chasing after them.” She looked over to Mara and smirked. “But that can’t really count can it?”

  Mara shook her head and then smiled mischievously. “Well then we need to do something for them.” Karen frowned at her seriously.

  “What?” She asked in confusion.

  “They need to have a date; come on it’ll be fun.” Mara insisted as ideas spun around in her head like a mad twister. Karen looked more and more like she was confused. “What?” Mara asked.

  “As I see it, dating is something that couples do. Wouldn’t it be wrong and meddling if we jumped in and messed with things?” Karen asked. Mara rolled her eyes and scoffed.

  “Please, the boys need our help.” Karen looked over to Hunter and Haven; they’d both dozed off on the couch.

  “It sure doesn’t look it.” Karen said. Mara grabbed Karen’s arm and pouted.

  “Our alpha and his mate are just going through the motions here. We as loyal pack mates must do something before our pack is completely torn apart with a bad break up.” Karen stared at Mara thoughtfully.

  “Are you sure?” She asked with uncertainty.

  “Honest to god, Care bear. If we don’t step in soon it’s only a matter of time before Hunter and Haven loose that spark between them.” Mara insisted.

  “But aren’t they mates? Doesn’t that mean their meant to be together?” Karen asked still not seeing it Mara’s way. Mara sighed in annoyance and crossed her arms and stared at Karen who just stared back. Karen sighed, “Fine.”

  “Yay!” Mara exclaimed happily. Both Hunter and Haven woke up then and looked over to her curiously.

  “What?” Haven asked as he sat up and stretched. Mara shook her head quickly and responded with, “Nothing.” The boys stared at them for a moment longer.

  “The food is done.” Karen spoke up and pushed past Mara who sighed out a quick breath and followed. They all sat down to eat in almost complete silence. Considering that they’d been dragged away to speak with Cloe a few days ago Mara was surprised that no one had mentioned moving. Mara figured it might be because Alaska had been the safest place they’d found in little under a year. She was sure they were all reluctant to leave.

  The silence was cut off when Haven spoke, “So…Why did you just freeze when Cloe was being mean?” Karen looked up at him and then around the table.

  “Me?”

  “No I mean Casper the ghost who was completely useless. Yes I mean you.” Haven said angrily. Karen frowned at him and glanced over to Hunter.

  “It was wolf business; Cloe was showing off her dominance by making you all kneel. I wasn’t a wolf it was none of my business.” Haven was quiet, just staring at Karen with a thoughtful expression.

  “But I’m not really a wolf, why would she force me to the ground?”

  “Because you smell like Hunter who she figured was the Alpha.” Mara spoke up as she munched on her dinner. “Karen wasn’t forced down because Karen is technically a higher rank then any Alpha.”

  “So Fairies are like gods in the mythical world?” Haven questioned.

  “Most lore states that fairies are the birth of all magic.” Mara said to which Hunter scoffed but said nothing. Mara looked over to him. “Of course most lore is all hearsay and nothing can really be confirmed.” Hunter still made no comment.

  Later that night, just after dinner Mara pulled Hunter aside while Haven crashed out on the couch after Karen made sure he took his meds. Mara pulled Hunter aside while Karen cleaned up. She smiled innocently but it was clear Hunter was already on her mischievous ways.

  “So,” Mara started.

  “I want no part in whatever you’re thinking.” Hunter said and moved to walk away. Mara quickly grabbed his arm.

  “Wait even if it’s to make Haven happy?” She asked Hunter looked at her and frowned but said nothing. “Come on think about it.” Mara insisted, “Haven is a normal kid who does occasionally like to go out and have a good time. But I mean think about it he hasn’t gone out in forever don’t you think it would be a good idea if you two went out and… I don’t know go on a date.”

  Mara smiled brightly while Hunter just stared at her blankly. Obviously he had no idea what she was talking about. “Geez you can be a real animal at times. Take Haven out for a night on the town and you know go out on a date.” Hunter frowned in response. Mara rolled her eyes and scoffed. “You know what leave everything up to me I’ll make reservations, buy flowers, the whole shebang.” She smiled brightly, “It’ll be great.” She promised.

~~~~

A new chapter is finally up and Mara is a scheming little devil. Next chapter will be the actual date, which will be awesome by the way. Though I’d love to know what you think the perfect date for Haven and Hunter to go on. Don’t forget to vote if you love the story so far.