Incompetent

Haven and Hunter are back! <3

~~~~

  "You've got to be kidding me." Haven let out a groan and watched as Mara trotted around proudly strutting and showing off her white pelt. She wasn't pure white she had a dark grey undertone which was completely unnoticeable unless you ran your fingers through her thick coat. A common mix but rare to have with such a demanding personality such as Mara's.

  Karen said it might have been the consequence of Mara rejecting her wolf for so long. She said it wore down her wolf until nothing was left but this small nimble white pelt that stood proudly now.

  Hunter gave Mara a warning glare as she rolled around in the snow. "That's not helping Mara." He warned threatening but with no real heat behind his words. Haven sighed and flopped down in the snow in defeat, yet again, for the eleventh time. He leaned back on his elbows.

  "Maybe I'm not a wolf, you know? Maybe it was just a fluke or something, the bite never took and I'll never turn."

  "You'd be dead if the change didn't take. Your body would have rejected the wolf trying to make a home in your head and poof." Karen explained from her perch on the picnic blanket by the cooler stocked full of food and drinks for the night.

  "Gee that makes me feel so much better." Haven said with a roll of his eyes and laid back, stretching out in the cool snow. "I'm a Werewolf that can't change." He paused, "I'm a Werewolf with performance issues..." The bark like laugh that escaped Mara's mouth was mortifying. Haven sat up and glared at her.

  "You know what I don't appreciate that at all. Thank you very much, you stupid white pelt." Mara sat up, shifted forms and smirked.

  Her hair wasn't bright red anymore. It was platinum blond almost matching her pelt color. It had changed after her first shift; as well as her scars completely disappearing and leaving her body flawless. She looked different with blond hair,

 Different but good;

  She stood up and strolled over to Karen completely in the nude. She didn't have much to worry about; as it turns out she's the only person in the group who had any interest in women. Well that's not true Haven has dated girls before and finds some attraction but not as much as seeing Hunter shirtless.

  "I'm not the one who can't change forms." Mara said as she slipped on her light blue summer dress despite it being Alaska in the middle of December with snow all around them. It was a matter of Werewolf genes, that don't feel the cold as badly as humans,

  Or something like that.

  Hunter never explained it very well and Mara went way too far into the science of it and Haven didn't even want to think about how Karen tried explaining it.

  "Yeah well you." He paused as his mind went blank out of pure frustration. "You're just, a jerk." Mara glanced over to him and frowned.

  "We're not getting anywhere chatting." Hunter interrupted impatiently.

  "We haven't gotten anywhere in an entire year, next month will be the anniversary of..." Haven drifted off remembering the hunters and fairies trying to kill him. "It'll be a year of total failure."

  "You know." Karen spoke up then. "If you really, truly are the prophesied Sacrifice it might be the reason you're having so much trouble with your change. You might not actually have a wolf." The silence that descended on them was deafening. They hadn't verbally talked about Haven being the Sacrifice in a long time.

  It was basically a tabooed topic for no real reason other than no one wanted to talk about Haven's death. It wasn't like the topic wasn't a hot subject considering they've been in constant battles for their lives; they just didn't want to talk about it.